PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bridging loan to avoid stamp duty

Hi We're moving to a larger house with my Mum. Ours is sold but Mum's (SSTC) sale is delayed by local searches so we cannot complete. To avoid a significant stamp duty bill is a bridging loan a reasonable idea? Are there any reputable providers? Ive seen approx 1to 2 % fre plus 0.5 to 1% pcm interest. We'd need £200k to complete Any advice? Thank you

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much SDLT are you trying to save?
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it worth it? What if the sale of mum's falls through and you are left with the bridging loan etc for months?
  • Sdt is a bit  over 11k Adrian 
  • Yes Flugelhorn its a risk for sure.
    We think it should be safe. Survey has happened ok and buyer checks out as far as it is possible to know.
    I gotcha!
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Perhaps the Budget on 3 March will extend the holiday by three months.
  • SDLT_Geek said:
    !!!!!! hope not! My chain will drag things out even more.
  • SDLT_Geek said:
    Hopefully yes
  • Saw an article which talked about a 6 week extension would allow most properties to complete  bbc i think 
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 February 2021 at 6:58PM
    Hi We're moving to a larger house with my Mum. Ours is sold but Mum's (SSTC) sale is delayed by local searches so we cannot complete. To avoid a significant stamp duty bill is a bridging loan a reasonable idea? Are there any reputable providers? Ive seen approx 1to 2 % fre plus 0.5 to 1% pcm interest. We'd need £200k to complete Any advice? Thank you
    @mattyholmes Nothing wrong with using a regulated-bridge to break a chain if the numbers stack up to a good saving overall and the LTV is low enough to make a bridge feasible.

You could check out a few broker websites (search for chain break bridging loan) to see what the options may be. 

There isn't cause to worry excessively about "reputable" bridging providers, plus this will be a regulated bridge (since it's to live in) so the advice bar is higher than it would be if it were for a rental.

In any case, you may not end up needing it anyway if an extension (as rumoured) is announced to 30 June.

Also, if they haven't already, might be worth asking your mum's house buyer if their lender accepts search indemnity insurance at all to speed up the process.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• K_S said:
    @mattyholmes Nothing wrong with using a regulated-bridge to break a chain if the numbers stack up to a good saving overall and the LTV is low enough to make a bridge feasible.

You could check out a few broker websites (search for chain break bridging loan) to see what the options may be. 

There isn't cause to worry excessively about "reputable" bridging providers, plus this will be a regulated bridge (since it's to live in) so the advice bar is higher than it would be if it were for a rental.

In any case, you may not end up needing it anyway if an extension (as rumoured) is announced to 30 June.

Also, if they haven't already, might be worth asking your mum's house buyer if their lender accepts search indemnity insurance at all to speed up the process.
    Fantastic  - thanl you very much!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure