Credit Card Claim

Options
I have followed MSE for a while and after hearing how much safer it is to use your credit card to pay a part of something over £100 we decided to do this with a big trip we had planned to make last year.  Everything was fine until Covid came along and the world closed down in March just two week before out first flight.  We thought no problem we are covered.  We have insurance and we used our credit card it will be fine so didn't panic.  The company we booked it through kept us up to date and when all flights were cancelled (our first flight to Japan wasn't cancelled with the others until almost the last minute) we said ok we will move it to 2021 thinking like most people the world was only having a blip and all would be well.  Then the worst thing happened they went bust.  Our insurance that we paid good money for passed the buck (so much for having insurance) but ATOL paid us everything except the amount paid by credit card before Christmas.  Now onto the credit card.  They have been awful.  Constantly asking for information which l know they need but it is always the same information which we keep sending them saying we sent it already and told them the dates we sent the info (must be about 6 times now) and today we got another letter asking for the exact same info - can they have details of the new flights which we have told them were not made because:-
a) they hadn't been released when the company went bust
b) we don't have a new invoice because the new flights hadn't been booked as the company went bust before they had been released.
My question is how do we get through to them that new flights had not been booked and the company went bust before this was possible and they still had out money?
Thank you all.  Next time l don't think l will bother with the credit card if this is what happens.
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Log a complaint, they then have up to 8 weeks to give you a final decision on your complaint and if either you dont like their decision or its not received within 8 weeks you can escalate the matter to the ombudsman.

A S75 is money out the banks pocket, so they will make sure they are liable for paying you but repeatedly asking for the same info etc shows something is going wrong somewhere.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,650 Forumite
    Options
    My guess is they are wanting to do a chargeback, for which they need the date of the flights. But it can be short circuited. So long as you have something stating company ceased trading and the new flights were not booked at the point of collapse.

TBH. ATOL have been cheeky. As they should have paid it all. But they side step the bond on any payments where a CC isused. But they should have sent you a letter stating they will not pay that bit and you need to go to CC to get it back. That needs to be given to CC and they will sort it from there.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you both.  We have sent CC every email we had with STA Travel which and have told them new flights were not booked as there were no dates available for the following year so how do we get this through to them because they want proof of the new flight dates were not yet available.  We just seem to be going round in circles telling them there were not flight details so no flights had been rebooked and were waiting for said flights to be released by the airline so we could rebook and STA sill had our money waiting to do just that.  I know they are trying to pull a fast one and get out of paying.  We have been with the bank for over 30 years and this is the first claim we have made ever (I know we are lucky) and l feel like telling them we are going to move our money elsewhere if this is not resolved but l guess they won't care.  
  • born_again
    Options
    Given they will be looking at a chargeback. That does nor cost them anything. Whereas a S75 claim will.

How much did ATOL not refund you?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Kit1
    Options
    Given they will be looking at a chargeback. That does nor cost them anything. Whereas a S75 claim will.

ATOL paid everything except the amount we paid on our credit card. Don't think l will use the credit card again if this is how the treat you.

• born_again
    Options
    Kit1 said:

ATOL paid everything except the amount we paid on our credit card. Don't think l will use the credit card again if this is how the treat you.

ATOL should have refunded it all. That is the whole point of the bond...

But they do not, as soon as they hear Credit Card they shirk their responsibility and tell you to call the bank.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Kit1
    Options
    Hi just wanted to update you all.  Today we had another letter saying that because we cancelled the holiday they are not paying out.  At no time did we ever cancel.  Coivid cancelled it last March just before we flow out in April and then the travel agent suggested we move our holiday to 2021 and then went bust.  Can anyone tell me where in this saga we cancelled because l just can't seem to find anything that says we cancelled it.  The bank also said  the bank can't claim under S75 because we cancelled it and the deposit was none refundable - this part l do not understand but just think they are trying to get out of it.  We never cancelled anything.  I am so cross - beginning to wish we had never used the credit card now.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    You need to speak with your credit card provider and ask them the question?
  • Kit1
    Options
    You need to speak with your credit card provider and ask them the question?
    We have spoken to them till we are blue in the face.  I was just asking if anyone could see anywhere in what l had written the words "I cancelled the holiday" because this is now their comeback and l am failing to understand how we can cancel something that could not happen as all air travel was cancelled and then the travel agent no longer in business.  Who did we send our cancelation to?  At no time did we say cancel the holiday but this seems to be their answer/get out clause which is wrong.  
    Just trying to make sense of it all and that was the reason for my post - nothing else.
  • born_again
    Options
    Log a complaint. 

It's the only way to get a answer.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing