Trying to pick a destination

Options
Sorry this seems a really stupid question, but don't know where else to ask and I don't think TripAdvisor has a generic forum?? But I would like a special holiday next year as I'm turning 40. I've told my Husband I intend to milk it just to get a decent holiday.

I'm not sure entirely what I want to do but I want it to be something different, I love scenery so somewhere picturesque and I don't like driving abroad so good public transport is important. 
I'll be taking 3 children aged 12-18 so different activities on hand a bonus. We do scouting so outdoor pursuits are appealing.
Flight times aren't really an issue, but maybe 8 hours max? Weather not a key feature but would be looking at July and August but 2 weeks of rain might be slightly off putting.

I'd really like to go to Fuerteventura but I don't think that's going to tick the boxes for keeping the family entertained or the something different.
Also thought about Canada and Jordan

We're not interested in AI and would like somewhere we can freely explore.
Budget wise I'm thinking £1500pp for transport and accommodation but doesn't need to include spending money.

Obviously this is all assuming travel is back to normal 

Please throw some ideas my way 

Thank you
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Switzerland ticks all your boxes but could be too expensive.

The Republic of Georgia would be a more affordable option so long as the cheap flights on Wizz are still available.

Further afield, check out Ella in Sri Lanka.
  • annabanana82
    Options

The Republic of Georgia would be a more affordable option so long as the cheap flights on Wizz are still available.

Thank you, my Son wants to go to Switzerland so can give that one some thought. My friend went a few years back and said there were ways of making it cheaper with self catering but I'm not a fan of cooking on holiday

Sri Lanka I don't know much about but will do some research, we also have friends in Mauritius so that may be an option if I can convince my family on flight times

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • alfmurph
    Options
    Portugal is cheap .
    You can live on the custard tarts alone and portugese rose wine .
    Hire electric bikes and go anywhere for the day .
    Easy jet flights so cheap .
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and I don't think TripAdvisor has a generic forum??
    They do however have around thirty "themed" forums, one or more of which would be exactly the place to ask such a question.

Or even the "Beyond Destinations" forum, which is maybe the most generic of them all..!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Wherever you decide to go, check out the weather before booking.
    Sri Lanka an be quite rainy and has (IIRC) 2 monsoon seasons depending where on the island you go.
    Fab country though. Scenery and historical sites are amazing.
    It's been  16 years since we last went so not sure what type of activities are available for 12-18 year olds.

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options

Thank you, my Son wants to go to Switzerland so can give that one some thought. My friend went a few years back and said there were ways of making it cheaper with self catering but I'm not a fan of cooking on holiday

Sri Lanka I don't know much about but will do some research, we also have friends in Mauritius so that may be an option if I can convince my family on flight times

Eating out in Switzerland is ridiculously expensive. I think it's the only holiday we've been on that we didn't eat out a single night, but we did follow it with a week in Italy where we made up for it :) Otherwise it wasn't that expensive, some stuff (eg petrol IIRC) is cheap. Scenery is stunning everywhere and it's a small country. But we had a car, not sure how easy it would be just using PT. 
  • annabanana82
    Options
    zagfles said:

Eating out in Switzerland is ridiculously expensive. I think it's the only holiday we've been on that we didn't eat out a single night, but we did follow it with a week in Italy where we made up for it :) Otherwise it wasn't that expensive, some stuff (eg petrol IIRC) is cheap. Scenery is stunning everywhere and it's a small country. But we had a car, not sure how easy it would be just using PT. 
    When my friends went they only ate out once and that was at the James Bond place in the Mountains. 
    Not having a car is a bit of sticking point, I've only driven in Malta and whilst it was quite easy to navigate and they drive the same side of the road as us, Maltese drivers were a bit scary at times. I rarely let my Husband drive in this country and abroad just makes me panic even more. 

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    zagfles said:

When my friends went they only ate out once and that was at the James Bond place in the Mountains. 
    Not having a car is a bit of sticking point, I've only driven in Malta and whilst it was quite easy to navigate and they drive the same side of the road as us, Maltese drivers were a bit scary at times. I rarely let my Husband drive in this country and abroad just makes me panic even more. 
    Yeah probably not the best place to go driving if you're not confident driving abroad/on the right, the roads and drivers are generally good IMO but obviously a lot of bendy mountain roads.
    I'm sure there'll be loads on TA who can advise on seeing Switzerland using PT.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zagfles said:
    Switzerland has the best public transport in the world. You could easily spend an entire holiday riding trains through spectacular mountain scenery (and when it gets too steep for trains there are post-buses, funiculars and cable-cars, all with co-ordinated timetables). A range of transport passes are available (including ferries on the lakes and some museums), and these are free for under-16s.

There are reasonably-priced supermarkets selling a range of bread, cheeses and cooked meats that can be delicious with minimal or zero preparation. And some pizza places are almost affordable.

• annabanana82
    Options
    zagfles said:
    Switzerland has the best public transport in the world. You could easily spend an entire holiday riding trains through spectacular mountain scenery (and when it gets too steep for trains there are post-buses, funiculars and cable-cars, all with co-ordinated timetables). A range of transport passes are available (including ferries on the lakes and some museums), and these are free for under-16s.

There are reasonably-priced supermarkets selling a range of bread, cheeses and cooked meats that can be delicious with minimal or zero preparation. And some pizza places are almost affordable.

That's good to know thank you. When my friend went they did a big supermarket shop over there and said although it was more expensive than a shop at home the holiday food spends was cheaper than usual overall.
    Some of my holiday ideas and places to visit come from some random places, but I'd  like a good train journey since watching Snowpiercer.
    Thanks to you Kandy to Ella by train is now on our to do list. 
    I've always wanted to go to Boulder Colorado because it's where Mork and Mindy was set.

Make £2024 in 2024...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport