How many Halfords 'We Fit' fitters does it take to change a lightbulb?

Ditzy_Mitzy
Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,851 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 24 February 2021 at 11:26PM in Praise, vent & warnings
One, but he won't do it properly.  Changing an indicator bulb on a family hatchback is not complicated, I have done it myself; it is apparently beyond the ken of the Halfords fitter, who put the bulb holder back in upside down, failed to fully reattach the plug and left the light fitting slightly loose.  Waste of money.  

Comments

• Penguin_ said:
    If you have done it before, why did you pay for it to be done?
    The bulb blew whilst I was out, sans screwdriver, and with no desire to get my hands and clothes dirty.  I had no time to go home, so thought it would be easiest to pay to get it done.  Fixing the mistakes took twice as long!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Did you complain to Halfords?
  • Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pollycat said:
    Did you complain to Halfords?
    Only on here  ;).  I've now 'destroyed the evidence' so to speak, by taking the light unit apart and putting it back together properly.  There doesn't seem to be much point now.  
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They're not even great on bicycles, so why would you let them near your car?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • boobyd
    boobyd Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have to say have used for bulb fitting no problems and would do again, I have hands like shovels so struggle! Generally bulbs have gone when no where near home and wouldn't get back home till dark. 
    Like most company's you get the good bad and ugly unfortunately. 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Had no problem when Ive asked for a bulb to be replaced although I do and use a local garage to do it as its cheaper.
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The last time I went to Halfords (only out of desperation) was to buy some glow plugs for my old diesel van:

"Glow plugs... are they the same as spark plugs?"

I'm only surprised they didn't try to install your new lightbulb in the middle of the car's roof.

• jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Only time I've used the service was late in the evening when I was about to board a ferry to France and a dipped headlight bulb blew while I was on Portsmouth docks.

It took them half an hour to change the bulb but it's an unusual car, the bulb is a b'tard to reach, and it goes in at a bizarre angle. As long as they sorted it in time for me to catch the ferry i didn't care. 

Guess it depends which Halfordian you get on the day (/night). 

• I applied for a job there once. 7 yrs in retail. Tend to fix my own car; brakes, exhaust, sus, servicing, basic electrics, ... yet they said there was someone more qualified for the job. 
    I can laugh at it, now.... 😂
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure