We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice please: Sewing needle to re-attach buttons to coat

Hi,
Please help.
I bought a lovely, warm, REALLY THICK wool blend coat, similar to this coat:
https://www.marksandspencer.com/belted-double-breasted-coat-with-wool/p/clp60473360
Unfortunately some of the buttons have already fallen off and while I don't want to return the coat I obviously need the buttons back on.
I have tried to stitch back those 4 hole buttons to big coats like this with your run of the mill poundland needles, and I succeded after much pain and difficulty.
I figure this could be done easier if I had a needle that is right for the fabric but after a google search, while a lot of information came up I am none the wiser for it, I still couldn't identify which needle would best meet my needs. 
So I come to you lovely people for advice please. Which needle would best suit me to re-attach my buttons to my coat?
Does it affect what type of needle I need the fact that the buttons are a bit curved, like the ones in the link?
Do I need a more specific type of thread so I'm not having to re-attach these buttons every few months?

Many thanks in advanced for any help you can give.

Comments

  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If its painful due to having to force the needle through all the layers, then you need a thimble.

    I tend to sew buttons on with doubled up thread or dental floss
  • Agree with flea72 - you need a reasonably sturdy needle and a thimble to get through thick wool.

    The buttons being curved won't make any difference
    2026 Fashion on the Ration - 0/66 coupons used

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    And use an extra strong cotton, such as top stitch thread. 
  • superglue.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    clive0510 said:
    superglue.
    Hmmm. No. Buttons need to be flexible. Have you never noticed that?  :D
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 February 2021 at 8:57AM
    clive0510 said:
    superglue.
    Superglue isn't that waterproof - so if the coat gets damp, they'll fall off! 

    I tend to use a polyester/multi purpose thread (gutermann is my preferred brand) and a longish standard needle to account for the thicker fabric (these are usually included in assorted needle multi packs, but perhaps not poundland multi packs... I confess to having never purchased needles in poundland)

    Gutermann all purpose thread (many colours available)
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063FWCK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_713AXQK1CXJVR1W4F9FW

    Needle multipack with holder / dispenser (the top rotates and there is a hole which lets you tip the needle out / put it back) - this is £1.50 and are the needles I use for most handsewing.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007MCRX36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MFWD34B9SB240VA1CR3C





  • Emmia said:
    clive0510 said:
    superglue.
    Superglue isn't that waterproof - so if the coat gets damp, they'll fall off! 

    I tend to use a polyester/multi purpose thread (gutermann is my preferred brand) and a longish standard needle to account for the thicker fabric (these are usually included in assorted needle multi packs, but perhaps not poundland multi packs... I confess to having never purchased needles in poundland)

    Gutermann all purpose thread (many colours available)
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063FWCK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_713AXQK1CXJVR1W4F9FW

    Needle multipack with holder / dispenser (the top rotates and there is a hole which lets you tip the needle out / put it back) - this is £1.50 and are the needles I use for most handsewing.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007MCRX36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MFWD34B9SB240VA1CR3C





    To be honest, I only use needles to do the occassional hem and re-attach buttons on your run of the mill cotton fabrics, so they are sufficient for that, it's when it gets to more specific fabrics/ tasks that they may struggle. 

    Thank you very much for the link and information to all of you. I shall get a thimble and the materials recommended. 
    Wish me luck with my buttons. 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Emmia said:
    clive0510 said:
    superglue.
    Superglue isn't that waterproof - so if the coat gets damp, they'll fall off! 

    I tend to use a polyester/multi purpose thread (gutermann is my preferred brand) and a longish standard needle to account for the thicker fabric (these are usually included in assorted needle multi packs, but perhaps not poundland multi packs... I confess to having never purchased needles in poundland)

    Gutermann all purpose thread (many colours available)
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063FWCK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_713AXQK1CXJVR1W4F9FW

    Needle multipack with holder / dispenser (the top rotates and there is a hole which lets you tip the needle out / put it back) - this is £1.50 and are the needles I use for most handsewing.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007MCRX36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MFWD34B9SB240VA1CR3C





    To be honest, I only use needles to do the occassional hem and re-attach buttons on your run of the mill cotton fabrics, so they are sufficient for that, it's when it gets to more specific fabrics/ tasks that they may struggle. 

    Thank you very much for the link and information to all of you. I shall get a thimble and the materials recommended. 
    Wish me luck with my buttons. 
    Have a watch of a youtube video on sewing coat buttons on for tips on how to do it best (ideally you need a space behind the button to allow for the thicker fabric for example)
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Emmia said:
    Emmia said:
    clive0510 said:
    superglue.
    Superglue isn't that waterproof - so if the coat gets damp, they'll fall off! 

    I tend to use a polyester/multi purpose thread (gutermann is my preferred brand) and a longish standard needle to account for the thicker fabric (these are usually included in assorted needle multi packs, but perhaps not poundland multi packs... I confess to having never purchased needles in poundland)

    Gutermann all purpose thread (many colours available)
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063FWCK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_713AXQK1CXJVR1W4F9FW

    Needle multipack with holder / dispenser (the top rotates and there is a hole which lets you tip the needle out / put it back) - this is £1.50 and are the needles I use for most handsewing.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007MCRX36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MFWD34B9SB240VA1CR3C





    To be honest, I only use needles to do the occassional hem and re-attach buttons on your run of the mill cotton fabrics, so they are sufficient for that, it's when it gets to more specific fabrics/ tasks that they may struggle. 

    Thank you very much for the link and information to all of you. I shall get a thimble and the materials recommended. 
    Wish me luck with my buttons. 
    Have a watch of a youtube video on sewing coat buttons on for tips on how to do it best (ideally you need a space behind the button to allow for the thicker fabric for example)
    If you put a matchstick behind the button (so the matchstick is between fabric and button) while you stitch, that gives a perfect amount of 'space'.

    A strong needle with a good-sized eye should do the trick - it'll make a big enough hole to let a double thickness of buttonhole thread pass through the fabric easily, and won't bend or break in use. Something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pony-Sewing-Needles-Knitters-Multi-Colour/dp/B004E5FU8Y/ref=pd_bxgy_3/260-6447297-7653904?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004E5FU8Y&pd_rd_r=eee94f6b-75d4-4afe-9dc3-35d112128c58&pd_rd_w=fF9bQ&pd_rd_wg=KkURT&pf_rd_p=dcf35746-0212-418b-a148-30395d107b2d&pf_rd_r=WJPADTT3NFN7VHF6NCNW&psc=1&refRID=WJPADTT3NFN7VHF6NCNW
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon said:
    If you put a matchstick behind the button (so the matchstick is between fabric and button) while you stitch, that gives a perfect amount of 'space'.

    Ah, that takes me back to my needlework school lessons!  Whenever I have to sew a button on now, I always use that trick.  And then we were taught to remove the matchstick and then wrap thread around that thread between the button and the fabric, to strengthen the 'shank'.  
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.