Cheapest way to keep NCB alive...

2»

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Buying a vehicle and paying insurance plus other costs simply to preserve NCB seems like a real false economy.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jenni_D said:
    buy and insure a no brand moped is the cheapest actual way to keep it alive
    Would that not count as motorcycle insurance rather than car insurance, and so be an entirely different policy hence a pointless exercise?

(Can you transfer NCB from a car policy to a motorcycle policy, and back again later?)
    There are companies that will take m/bike ncb on a car policy. I did it with 7 years to insure a 2nd car.
    Not yet found the reverse though.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For 2 year NCB it's unlikely to be worth it; you'll probably get a better discount for the extra 2+ years of driving experience.
    For 9 years NCB it may be worth buying a banger and leaving it SORN with a fire + theft only policy, but only if you were planning on getting another car within a year or so.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Herzlos said:
    For 2 year NCB it's unlikely to be worth it; you'll probably get a better discount for the extra 2+ years of driving experience.
    For 9 years NCB it may be worth buying a banger and leaving it SORN with a fire + theft only policy, but only if you were planning on getting another car within a year or so.
    Probably not even then, since 2yrs is about 35% NCB, and max tops out around 55%.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 February 2021 at 8:15PM
    AdrianC said:
    Exactly.

So now we're buying and insuring a vehicle for a year to save, what, 30% off the premium next time?

It makes no sense.
    And then after that 3rd year, it will become 4 and 5 and 6.
    Or don't insure and lose it.

I don't know why people have decided to think the OP doesn't have a vehicle to insure.  They don't say that, so best stick to the facts rather than speculate answers based on information that is just a guess.
  • AdrianC said:
    Exactly.

So now we're buying and insuring a vehicle for a year to save, what, 30% off the premium next time?

It makes no sense.
    And then after that 3rd year, it will become 4 and 5 and 6.
    Or don't insure and lose it.

I don't know why people have decided to think the OP doesn't have a vehicle to insure.  They don't say that, so best stick to the facts rather than speculate answers based on information that is just a guess.
    You've got one on you tonight. 
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Shall we just remind ourselves of what you're actually replying to, in full context?
    However what is the cheapest and easiest way to 'keep my ncb alive'?  
    Insure a vehicle. 
    What vehicle?
    If the OP doesn't own a vehicle at present...
    The obvious answer would be buy one.
    AdrianC said:
    Exactly.

So now we're buying and insuring a vehicle...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback