PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax

Hi my friend asked me a question earlier and I wasn't sure of the answer so thought I'd ask on here. She lives with her Mum who around a year ago signed over the property into her name. The council tax is still in her mothers name. She wants to know if she needed to let the council know of the change of property ownership for the council tax or can they still be under her Mum's name?

Thanks

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    CT is in the occupier's name(s).
    The local authority don't care about the ownership.
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January 2021 at 2:55PM
    There is a legal hierarchy of liability for CT. Your friend appears to be at the topofthe list:
    Hierarchy of liabilityA resident who owns the freeholdA resident who owns the leaseholdA resident who is an assured tenant or is a statutory or secure tenantA resident who is a licensee. This means that they are not a tenant but have permission to stay thereAny resident, for example, a squatterAn owner of the property who does not live thereThere are some properties where the owner, rather than the residents, will be responsible for payment. The hierarchy does not apply to these properties. These properties are: Houses in multiple occupation, that is where the residents do not form a single household and pay their rent separately for different parts of the property. The tenants will usually have separate tenancy agreements. Residential care or nursing homes, and some types of hostels which provide care Homes occupied by Religious communities Homes which are occasionally occupied by the owner and whose domestic staff are also resident Properties occupied by ministers of religion, as a residence from which the minister's duties of office are carried out Properties provided to asylum seekers

• It would be sensible, purely to be polite, to inform council of her details and contact details in case they want to contact owner.

• CashMoney
    CashMoney Posts: 111 Forumite
    I thought she would need to inform them of the change because her elderly mum gets Council Tax reduction based on her benefits and what the daughter earns. I didn't want to give her the answer without getting some clarification first. Thanks
  • AdrianC said:Sorry, the mother receives benefits and CT reductions... and gave away a very, VERY valuable asset...?

CT is the least of her problems, I suspect.

+1.  Many might think some  taxpayers might not be keen to hear benefit payments whilst giving away this large asset.

btw I speak as someone in receipt of 6 benefits (old..), so must declare an interest in this matter.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,455 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    When my daughter came home from Uni I lost my single person CT discount, and ended up paying £700 extra as a lump sum.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hmmm. Popcorn. There's a good idea.
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    When my daughter came home from Uni I lost my single person CT discount, and ended up paying £700 extra as a lump sum.
    You mean after she finished her course, or dueto studying fromhome due to Covid? If the latter, as a student she'd not affect your discount eligibility.

• youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,455 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    When she finished her degree and came back to live at home greatcrested.  She didn't stay at home long and I was able to get the discount again, thankfully, my pension isn't stretching as it used to.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure