PIP wait time

RobinHill
RobinHill Posts: 332
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Forumite
edited 27 January 2021 at 2:55PM in Disability money matters
Hello, I was awarded DLA 20 years ago (higher mobility / lower care). My health has deteriorated and late last October on advice I took the plunge and applied for PIP. Following the initial registration there was some name matching problem (DLA "A." but PIP "Andrew" for the middle name) which led to a further 2 week delay in receiving the forms. These were completed (with extensive supporting medical reports) and received by the DWP on the 3rd December. I understand that the latest wait times from registration to decision is around 14 weeks? I am now at over 13 weeks and have yet to hear anything at all. Anyone have any recent experience of how long the process is taking / before hearing anything from them in any form? Thank you.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,015
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well going back to when we did ours Pre covid.
    Started in Nov 2019, forms returned & received in Dec, Home visit End Jan 9 2020 (would be either phone or paper based now) got result end Feb.

So you are still on track. You could ring them and ask, but sounds like it has been passed on to review & decide if paper or phone call.
    Life in the slow lane
  • The relevant part is the time between them receiving your forms and you being given an assessment appointment.  You're currently at approximately 6 weeks, judging by the dates?  Given that there's also the Christmas and New Year period in the middle of that time I wouldn't be worrying yet.  Back in summer it was about 2 months between sending my forms back and and being given an appointment, which actually felt quite quick!  The main, most important thing is that DWP received your forms, so you're fine. 
  • RobinHill
    Forumite
    2020.10.27 PIP claim by phone
    2020.11.11 Chased as not heard. Delay due to name discrepancy
    2020.11.20 Received PIP form, deadline 11th Dec.
    2020.11.27 Returned completed forms
    2020.12.03 Text stating received at DWP
    From the above timeline I calculate that it is 8 weeks since the 3rd Dec. So hopefully not too much longer to wait?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    Forumite
    There's never been any timescales for anything with DWP. The timescale they tell you is nothing more than a guide, backklogs are just part of the reason why there's delays.
    Telephone assessments have replaced face to face assessments, which most people have. Paper based assessments are still very rare but do happen.
    There's nothing more you can do but wait. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on your PIP. If you're successfully awarded then PIP payments start about 7 weeks after the decision's been made.
  • RobinHill
    Forumite
    Hi poppy12345, I was just enquiring of what people were currently experiencing in terms of time span of hearing about each step etc. I understand the the DLA ends on receiving the PIP decision. At risk of taking your reply a touch too literally, does that mean there will be a gap between the DLA and PIP payments (like WTC to UC)? Cheers
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    edited 27 January 2021 at 4:16PM
    If you're successfully awarded PIP then your final DLA payment will be about 3 weeks later. You will then receive your first PIP payment 4 weeks after that. Remember DLA is paid 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance. PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears. There's no gap as such because you would have received your DLA payment.

• RobinHill
    Forumite
    Well trusting the more information they have provided the better ... with the help a friend ("two stars" at PIP applications with no interview) I supplied an appendix of over 30 relevant medical reports and documents, together a 13 page response to the "About your conditions" form, again each descriptor question being referenced to a typed appendix entry. Our best efforts calculate 42 to 54 points on Daily Living of which 27 were evidenced, and 12 to 16 points for Mobility, again with strong supporting evidence. Back in 2019 I received LCWRA solely through a paper application, and whilst I know PIP is different, I am just hoping that I am one of the fortunate few to do the same with PIP.
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    I must admit, over 30 medical reports is an awful lot of evidence to send and so much for anyone to read. Less is very often more when it comes to evidence.
  • RobinHill
    Forumite
    edited 27 January 2021 at 7:29PM
    My primary condition is neurological (progressive nerve damage) however the impact is quite wide reaching eg. severe muscle wastage / MSK problems etc. The aim was to back up each and every claim made in the descriptors with evidence from a medical professional. There is undoubtedly a lot of evidence to read, but without supplying this I would not be fully evidencing the claim. The person who helped complete the application has found it is important to do so, otherwise it may result in the assessor having to seek further information regarding the claim. The previous two PIP applications resulted in enhanced on both counts without interview. Who knows as it is all new to me, but from what I can see they have all the information now, and can't gain anything further save confirmation. See what happens, but hopefully there is not too much longer to wait.
  • RobinHill
    Forumite
    edited 29 January 2021 at 12:02PM
    Called the DWP for an update. The latest figures from customers currently indicate an average of 16 weeks from DWP receiving the completed forms to them making a decision. So at a guess I am only half way through. What the representative did say though was that my claim had been passed onto the NHS, but there are severe delays there as these staff have been pulled to work on the front line in hospitals. I am not sure but I am guessing that this step is to decide what to do with the claim ie. external assessor or not? Thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback