Deductions from salary ongoing despite student loan being included in a protected trust deed

Hello, 

long story short, in 2006 I got over my head in debt and entered into a protected trust deed. As required it was posted in a local news paper on the 17th of February 2007 and became protected 5 weeks later. 
Since then SLC have been making deductions from my salary, I by chance found myself in employment where my salary is just over £30k a year and since I started this job in 2018 deductions total nearly £2.5k. 
Some might argue that as I am now in a position to pay back the debt I should however in the eyes of the law that debt was included and protected from when I signed the deed in 2007 and as far as I’m concerned that should be it. At the time I had no idea my circumstances would change for the better.

Legislation from 2008 says that student loans can not be included in protected trust deeds however I entered the deed in 2007 so my debt was already included.

I have contacted them and they cited the 2008 legislation as the reason the are “not in a position to refund” the money they have taken.

I have since provided them with the documentation for the trust deed and am awaiting their response however I fully expect them to dig their heals in. 

I just wondered if anyone has had similar experience with SLC and what the outcome was.

Also does the insolvency practitioner appointed as trustee at the time have any power to intervene.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback