Unable to open a bank account

Hi guys a friend of mine is having trouble opening a current account due to a awful credit score 28/100 ( Fake number i know )
HSBC refused a current 
TSB opened then withdrew offer of basic bank account
Starling closed an account for unknown reason
She has a Monzo account however the agency she uses have issues with payments to monzo she she cant use that going forward.
She just needs a bank that takes in wages and pays out debits and has a debit card can anyone point me in right direction

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Does she have anything adverse on CIFAS or National Hunter as well as her credit files perhaps?
  • eskbanker said:
    Does she have anything adverse on CIFAS or National Hunter as well as her credit files perhaps?
    As far as im aware no however she wouldn't say if she did
    I have asked if she had been made bankrupt/struck off but shes just a single mum on universal credit who ran up CCJs etc no idea how recent etc 
  • eskbanker
    Multiple banks independently refusing her basic accounts and closing others after opening would suggest something more serious than simply a thin credit file, but we're all just guessing really in the absence of the full story - perhaps if she already has her Monzo account she should focus on getting the agency to pay her through that, as there's no valid reason I'm aware of that this should be an insoluble issue....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It sounds as if she is in deep trouble. She needs to get her CIFAS SAR.

She probably has serious debt troubles, too, and would benefit from joining the debt-free wannabee board

There are possibilities of getting a type of current account even in the most dire financial circumstances but I hesitate to post any links online if I don't know the circumstances. Your friend should probably seek individual help, for example through Citizens Advice or a dedicated debt charity.
  • Barclays and Co-op seem to be slightly easier to get, although as others have said if she has got problems on her credit file or Cifas (been involved in fraud or unknowingly been used as a money mule?) then she will have problems at most banks.  There are some organisations that offer accounts that give you a card, sort code and account number, but are expensive to run.  Check the basic bank account section on this site
  • Barclays and Co-op seem to be slightly easier to get, although as others have said if she has got problems on her credit file or Cifas (been involved in fraud or unknowingly been used as a money mule?) then she will have problems at most banks.  There are some organisations that offer accounts that give you a card, sort code and account number, but are expensive to run.  Check the basic bank account section on this site
    She did tell me of a situation this year where she was offered money to claim some kinda of benefit which was split 3 ways and was caught and now paying this back however I'm not sure if that's what it could be she keeps things very gaurded and only tells you if its in her interests 
  • eskbanker
    Barclays and Co-op seem to be slightly easier to get, although as others have said if she has got problems on her credit file or Cifas (been involved in fraud or unknowingly been used as a money mule?) then she will have problems at most banks.  There are some organisations that offer accounts that give you a card, sort code and account number, but are expensive to run.  Check the basic bank account section on this site
    She did tell me of a situation this year where she was offered money to claim some kinda of benefit which was split 3 ways and was caught and now paying this back however I'm not sure if that's what it could be she keeps things very gaurded and only tells you if its in her interests 
    This sounds very much like something dodgy that would result in a CIFAS marker, which will seriously compromise her ability to engage with any financial institutions, probably for six years, so the best advice you can give her is to check that out.
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    Cant see why any issues paying money into a monzo accounts, sounds false to me.
    However the solution simple and i wish people would offer it more.  She needs a simple building society account  
    So the likes of https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/savings/easy_access/instant-access-account.html
    she can her wages paid in and then use a cash card to withdraw money from a link cash machine , no issue if CIFAS on here file
    Yorkshire Building Society used to do one but they withdrew their cash transactor account.  If she lives in an area with a regional building society she should see what they offer
    Basic yes , but it works 
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    She should be able to get a Pockit account. https://www.pockit.com/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business