Royal Mail - Track and Trace

Is anyone else not happy with Royal Mail Track and Trace ?
I can never figure out why it only works on the day of delivery - I thought that it was supposed to give you a days warning, in advance of a delivery
But - every time that I use it - it tells me "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference %%%%%%% . Please try again tomorrow."

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    It always updates on the day of delivery, I find it great as I know when it’s out for delivery. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Likewise never a problem .
  • Only way you will get a full tracking of the item is if a full tracked service is bought. 
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,581
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    No it is supposed to update after delivery attempt only.

Of course sometimes not even that happens, my last Signed For arrived but RM didn't sign for it or even confirm delivery (recipient did).

Got 6 First Class stamps out of that failure however :smile:
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 January 2021 at 7:58AM
    SteveQ said:
    I can never figure out why it only works on the day of delivery - I thought that it was supposed to give you a days warning, in advance of a delivery
    But - every time that I use it - it tells me "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference %%%%%%% . Please try again tomorrow."

It isn't the track & trace that is the issue you are having, it is the service being used.  

A proper tracked parcel (such as Special Delivery or Royal Mail Tracked 48) will have tracking.  This will show progress.

The 'tracking' you refer to in your OP is not tracking but a proof of delivery.  It will only show when an attempt or full delivery has been made. 

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a much simpler approach, if I order stuff for delivery I make sure there is someone in to accept it or, on the few occasions when that is not possible, we have a nominated safe place for the items.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • SteveQ said:

I have got the same problem, my package supposedly shipped last Thursday but 6 days later I am still getting the "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status..." message. What I don't understand is the seller used Tracked 24 (see attached image of the parcel they are sending me); doesn't this mean the status should be updating regularly and not just update on the day of delivery?

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 January 2021 at 3:46PM
    JMarst said:
    SteveQ said:

I have got the same problem, my package supposedly shipped last Thursday but 6 days later I am still getting the "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status..." message. What I don't understand is the seller used Tracked 24 (see attached image of the parcel they are sending me); doesn't this mean the status should be updating regularly and not just update on the day of delivery?

That just means the seller has paid for the postage online, but has yet to drop it off at a post office or other collection point. If they'd dropped it off it would have been scanned as accepted and it would be updated with the location it was dropped off. 
  • SteveQ said:

I have the same issue with two recorded deliveries sent two years ago.  A defendant is saying he never received the legal bundle I posted to him. Yesterday when I searched I got "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference WM_______. Please try again tomorrow."  I am getting the same respons today.

Very poor service.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,758
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wellnessy said:
    SteveQ said:

I have the same issue with two recorded deliveries sent two years ago.  A defendant is saying he never received the legal bundle I posted to him. Yesterday when I searched I got "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference WM_______. Please try again tomorrow."  I am getting the same respons today.

Very poor service.
    So the items should have been delivered two years ago? I don't think the tracking records are kept that long?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback