Old ING account

Options
Hi I had an ING account (Belgium) in 2002 which I stopped using in 2005. I have now received a letter from a debt collection agency. There are charges totalling over £2000 and I can’t get any sense from them other than that most of this is for interest but they can’t tell me how the debt came about in the first place. Where do I go from here? 

Comments

• Retiredwelshman
    Options
    Maybe they levied a monthly fee?
    We are lucky in being one of a small number of countries that has free banking.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    they can’t tell me how the debt came about in the first place
    The debt collection agency wont know how you accrued the debt.  Only the lender can.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Different country rules of course but I'd suspect Belgium may well have something similar to the statute of limitations over here meaning debts that are not paid/acknowledged after 6 years cannot be enforced. You need to seek advice from someone who understands Belgian financial law
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback