PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Urgent advice needed

Options

Comments

• Wheretostart90
    Options
    The one tenant has spoken to his dad and even said he has no issues leaving but would like his deposit back whether that changes tomorrow, time will tell. 

The other was arguing on the phone with his dad with has riled him and he's going tomorrow regardless of what happens. My husband has just spoken to him, he wants him to go too. 

then given your own lack of knowledge on housing matters, the only thing your husband should be doing is trying to get his father to stop DIY'ing, and instead to take proper legal advice on a plan of action for winding up the estate of his son.
    If father is the duly appointed personal representative of his intestate son of course, and even if he is the father not unreasonably in the circs appears to be acting out of grief, not rational thought, so should completely back away before he does something that will rebound. 
    This is what I am saying to my husband. He is not thinking clearly or rationally and I agree that the boys should be able to stay there as I would do the same if this were the other way around. 

I just wasn't sure what will happen should he do what he intends. 
    As I said we have kept away from my husband's side of the family for years and I think it's hard for him to keep saying the same thing to his dad when he just won't listen. 
  • Wheretostart90
    Options
    We live in Wales, his dad is in England. 
    I will let my husband read this thread and send it to him. 
    He's already spoken and he says he's going anyway. 
    No joint owner on the house, it was a help to buy new build. Payments were up to date but obviously not paid off. 
    He was only young. 

• greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Then it's out of your hands.
    Purely out of interest, please let us know what happens tomorrow.......
  • Wheretostart90
    Options
    I was mistaken, it's next Friday. I'm hoping he will calm down and change his mind by then. 
    I will let you all know. Thank you all 
  • NameUnavailable
    Options
    We live in Wales, his dad is in England. 
    No joint owner on the house, it was a help to buy new build. Payments were up to date but obviously not paid off. 
    He was only young. 

Oh dear, it gets worse!

• NameUnavailable
    Options
    xylophone said:
    just because the family now want to sell the property?

Is that so unreasonable?

Not at all. If correct legal process is followed. Turning up out of the blue and trying to literally kick people out on the street isn't.

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was mistaken, it's next Friday. I'm hoping he will calm down and change his mind by then. 
    I will let you all know. Thank you all 
    I assume that the tenants have contacted the council to say that they need accommodation, and the Council has said  they will provide accommodation, but only once there is an eviction order? 

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 January 2021 at 11:07PM
    Options

make sure his father sees this given the property is in Wales (assuming of course he gets there from England without being arrested):
     Harassment and illegal eviction - Shelter Cymru

it would appear the council is now aware of a tenancy, however, you can't automatically assume one bit of the council will check with the other that holds the list of  registered landlords, especially in current staff shortages situation. However, if gets to an illegal eviction complaint, I'll bet someone at the council will start joining things together so they can issue a fine and make some money
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xylophone said:
    just because the family now want to sell the property?

Is that so unreasonable?

Not at all. If correct legal process is followed. Turning up out of the blue and trying to literally kick people out on the street isn't.

The process is now ridiculously long winded. A lawful eviction can easily take 18 months at the moment. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback