PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Urgent advice needed

Options
Ok,  so I will attempt to keep this as simple as I can. 

My husbands brother passed away in October, he owned a house in Wales which he was letting 2 friends live and pay rent for. 
No tenancy was ever drawn up 
He was not listed as a landlord 
He was living in England with his nan and grandad at the time of his death and probably a year or so before, we were not in contact with him in the last few years so didn't know any of this. 

So, my husband's dad took over everything and said they could stay there until after Christmas, as it's being put up for sale. 

They were meant to be leaving the house Friday however he has had a message to say the council have advised them to stay in the premises and he cannot make them leave for 6 months as they are in a stage 4 lockdown and have rights. 

Is this still correct even though there is no tenancy in place? 
I know this is the case if there is and I know they can prove they have paid rent for some time. 

His dad is planning on going Friday, changing the locks and emptying their stuff out the house which I don't think help the situation and maybe he will get into trouble? 

Comments

• MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    His dad is planning on going Friday, changing the locks and emptying their stuff out the house which I don't think help the situation and maybe he will get into trouble? 
    It will be a criminal offence. Your father in law will need to get all his requirements as a landlord sorted, then issue an S21. If they don't move out after the 6 month notice (assuming all the tenancy requirements are met e.g. gas safety cert and EPC amongst many many other things). Then he applies to court and the court can order an eviction, and the baliff can change the lock.
    If he's missing one thing from the S21 checklist then it's invalid and he start again. He's got a lot of work to do.

The tenants are obviously aware of at least some of their rights so going there to the change the locks is a very very bad idea, and once again, illegal.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's far, far worse than that! There are a myriad of tiny details required, and the courts won't grant an eviction notice unless these have been followed to the letter. The chances are that they have not been. Even if they have, how can you prove it? 

There's a sticky explaining all this.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 January 2021 at 7:25PM
    Options
    As exlplained there is a tenancy. Rent is paid in return for a property.
    Illegal eviction is a (serious) criminal offense.
    Furthermore, I strongly suspect the landlord has broken multilple laws already. As a start, all landlords in Wales must be registered. Is he?
    A heavy fine, and possibly prison, could result from changing the locks.

• Wheretostart90
    Options
    I'm just asking for advice as we didn't know about any of this until my brother in law passed away, we wasn't in contact with any of them. 

It was basically his mates needing somewhere to stay, he let them whilst he had an empty house. 
    Unfortunately he has done nothing above board, he is not registered as a landlord, I can't see the safety certification being done either. 

The one lad who lives there called his dad today to say the what the council have advised and it's annoyed him, which is why he plans to go Friday. 
    I'm worried as I know it's wrong but no getting through to him, so wasn't sure what would actually happen. 
    I know they have rights but what can I say or do. 
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 January 2021 at 7:46PM
    Options
    About the only thing you can do is pay them to leave. Seeing as they would be making themselves 'intentionally homeless' in the eyes of the council they would no longer be eligible for any council assistance so would be giving up a lot.
    I'd start my opening offer at £5000 but be prepared to pay more. If they refuse then there isn't much you can do except find a cash buyer who wants to take over the existing unregulated tenancy and expect to take a 50% hit in the property value.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback