Smoke coming through the walls?

edited 21 January 2021 at 4:20PM in In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
1 reply 121 views
leannep1989leannep1989 Forumite
1 Post
Hello, this is my first time posting so I apologise if this is in the wrong section!
Me and my partner brought own our home, its a semi detached with the other house being a Council house. Our neighbours smoke quite a bit and the the fumes/smell of smoke is ending up in our house, mainly in our bedroom which is next to their front bedroom. Occasionally it appears in my sons room which is also joined to the dividing wall. 
We have asked them if they smoke in the house, to which they quickly replied that they didn't, but just a week later I saw them smoking in their kitchen 🙄!! 
Any idea where the smoke could be coming through? Unfortunately the whole room smells all day but does smell a lot stronger in the built in wardrobe towards the floor. If I contact the council are they likely to go round and check the walls etc that side or will it be down to me to fix my side? 
Just to add, they recently went away for 3 weeks, it was the best 3 weeks of my life because my house actually smelt nice again, but as soon as they returned it just went back to stinking 🤢 
Any helps and idea are appreciated, thank you. 


  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You need a Positive Input Ventilation (PIV) system, with the inlet situated as far away from the source of the smoke as possible. Only a few houses are built to be air-tight, and you will struggle to make an old house air-tight, so get a PIV with a heater and you will be happy.  
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest News and Guides