recommendation for a phone that allows unlocking the bootloader, and with good battery life?

Options
darto150
darto150 Posts: 38 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 19 January 2021 at 8:55PM in Mobiles
Hi,
I am looking for a phone with a good battery life e.g. 5000mAh like my Moto G7 Power.. Maybe that can be unlocked but i'm interested in alternatives to that..
I have heard that  Huawei, and  Samsung now stop unlocking bootloaders.
I want an phone that runs Android, not an iPhone.
I don't want to spend more than £220
Can you suggest anything?
Thanks

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you need to unlock the bootloader?
  • darto150
    edited 19 January 2021 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Why do you need to unlock the bootloader?
    Me and a friend want to do a  a byte by byte backup of the phone. 
    Also I think they hide some of the directories of the phone unless you have root access, which can require unlocking the bootloader,  so some data recovery software can be limited.  And if I ever deleted anything from my phone by accident, then if I could get an image of the phone it might be recoverable.  And if an app stores some data somewhere,  I can't see the data in a file manager,, I can't access it, can't back  up the data unless the app has such an option.   It's like asking why would you ever need or want administrative access on your computer.. A phone is your computer.  If you use administrative access well, it's to your benefit.   I have a hobby with a friend where we look at technical things. 

Hopefully the question can be respected even if you don't agree with me eg wanting to do a byte by byte backup of the phone..
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Not all models have locked bootloader even within the same range .So look to the model you want first then check bootloader .
  • darto150
    Options
    Okay let's put aside the bootloader since apparently it's the chinese companies, like Oppo and Huawei that stop the consumer doing that.  And most other companies most models are OK. 
    So i'm interested in a phone that is not more than £220 and has really good battery life.  like 5000mAh capacity.  And if I don't need to spend anywhere near £220 then even less price is better. 
    A reliable internet connection is important to me. And a reliable GPS.   There have been times when sitting in a car with a friend , in london, and they don't have a phone and I do but my phone's not getting a mobile internet signal or not getting a GPS location.. Mostly it's OK but sometimes maybe if the weather is bad that can happen.
    Also I want a magnetometer, in there(thing that allows compass programs to work).  I did have a Doogee phone once(another chinese manufacturer), and it had no compass functionality in there.   

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    (Okay let's put aside the bootloader since apparently it's the chinese companies, like Oppo and Huawei that stop the consumer doing that.)

NOT TRUE
  • will-he-payitoff
    Options
    Have you looked at this

• Phones4Chris
    Options
    Have you looked at this

Hey, that's even got my attention and I wasn't looking for a new phone !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback