New Post Advanced Search

Advice for living with elderly blind cat

4 replies 141 views
bbatbbat Forumite
62 posts
10 Posts
Hi All
Does anyone on the forum live with a blind cat? My very (very) elderly cat has just lost his sight. He knows where key things are like sofa, bed, water, food, litter tray. But I'm after any other tips or useful info.
Thanks
Jane
Ps-he has been to the vet to confirm the sight loss.

Replies

• Trina90Trina90 Forumite
    505 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I did many years ago as a teenager (my parents got her as a kitten before I was born). She lived until 18, when I was 15. Nothing really changed when she went blind, they are great at adapting. She did escape out of the house once, as the urge to be outside was still there after being an outdoor cat for most of her years. Something to be wary of. We found her, with the help of a neighbour, and she was fine. Sorry I don't have any more tips or advice.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000
  • SootySweep1SootySweep1 Forumite
    128 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Hi
    Our previous cat went blind. He managed OK and to be honest you'd struggle to tell when he was on familiar territory & we hadn't moved furniture etc around.
    We had builders in & we warned them but I don't think they initially believed us until he fell down a hole they created by lifting some floor boards ! It wasn't a deep hole & he wasn't hurt 😃
    He was incredibly independent and still wanted to go out in the garden. He had a number of sunbathing spots depending on the time of day.
    Jen
  • The_LibrarianThe_Librarian Forumite
    16 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    I had a lovely cat who went blind. He was very independent, and still enjoyed going outside and sunning himself in the garden, and like others have said, as long as you don't move the furniture he'll be fine. 

There used to have a gap in the fence which he used to get between the front and back garden. When the fence was replaced, we had to request a hole cut in it for him, as he was so used to his 'cut through'. The workmen thought I was mad until, having removed the old fence, they saw him robotically following an invisible 'path' to the chalk line where I had told them to put the hole in order to get through to the back garden!
  • hob_nob_bobhob_nob_bob Forumite
    81 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I've never had a blind cat, but did have a dog who went blind and deaf; he lived to just under eighteen. He managed so well, I think probably mostly because of a dog's great sense of smell (unsure how this compares to cats). He'd easily find his bed and food etc, and loved to potter in the garden. Good luck!