2»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 January 2021 at 12:56AM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    You could make essentially the same argument about any form of retail - if you cherry-pick the underlying wholesale net unit price paid to distributors and compare it with the fully-loaded retail price (including staff, rent/rates, taxes and all the other business costs), there will always be a substantial discrepancy, which is inevitably exacerbated in an environment such as airports where customers are captive (but overheads are also higher).  The bottle of water sold in an airside WHSmith at £1.50 probably cost the company 10p from the wholesaler, for example, but the same fundamental principle applies for pretty much any retail environment even if actual margins obviously vary....
    I get where you are coming from, but come on! You don't in any way believe that there isn't a teensy teensy bit of 'captive audience with no alternative' exploitation going on? Really?
    Same discussion always arises from those that have never run a business. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    You could make essentially the same argument about any form of retail - if you cherry-pick the underlying wholesale net unit price paid to distributors and compare it with the fully-loaded retail price (including staff, rent/rates, taxes and all the other business costs), there will always be a substantial discrepancy, which is inevitably exacerbated in an environment such as airports where customers are captive (but overheads are also higher).  The bottle of water sold in an airside WHSmith at £1.50 probably cost the company 10p from the wholesaler, for example, but the same fundamental principle applies for pretty much any retail environment even if actual margins obviously vary....
    I get where you are coming from, but come on! You don't in any way believe that there isn't a teensy teensy bit of 'captive audience with no alternative' exploitation going on? Really?
    I didn't actually say that and was just highlighting that a selective comparison of two numbers is misleadingly simplistic!  Just because I choose not use emotive language like 'rip off', 'exploitation' and 'profiteering' doesn't mean that I'm defending the margin being applied though, but without sight of the full finances involved it's just speculation for any of us to hypothesise about the profitability of these activities....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Same discussion always arises from those that have never run a business. 
    Put ‘health’ and ‘profit’ in the same sentence and people always complain.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 January 2021 at 10:38AM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Agree - I can go to Costco and get a crate of 40x500ml bottles of water for ~£3

Separate them and stick them in any retail environment and the  effective markup will be huge

Wages,profit,operating costs etc etc all need to come from somewhere
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 January 2021 at 12:00AM
    Options
    Of course it's a total rip off. There is massive profiteering / exploitation going on in many aspects of the whole Coronavirus thing, to the point where it suits many for this whole thing to go on for as long as possible, from vaccine companies, to PPE manufacturers, to handgel suppliers, to big online retailers enjoying record profits, to those in receipt of furlough, those wanting another stamp duty holiday, the green lobby...  the list goes on.... For many, corona suits their aims very well.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Of course it's a total rip off. There is massive profiteering / exploitation going on in many aspects of the whole Coronavirus thing, to the point where it suits many for this whole thing to go on for as long as possible, from vaccine companies, to PPE manufacturers, to handgel suppliers, to big online retailers enjoying record profits, to those in receipt of furlough, those wanting another stamp duty holiday, the green lobby...  the list goes on.... For many, corona suits their aims very well.
    Supply and Demand
    Gross vs Net Profit
    Increased Sales
    Understand those things and you will realise that very little of what is happening is "profiteering / exploitation".
  • superbigal
    superbigal Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2021 at 1:55PM
    Options
    MMMM   As a good example FFP3 Masks are now half the price to Jo Bloggs against what even the Govt was paying for them.
    FFP2 Masks have dropped even more.
    Generally the actual costs of production however has actually increased, as many are now being produced in the UK rather than Turkey or China.
    Many distribution outlets who bought at "inflated" prices are now suffering themselves with Stock they cannot shift without taking a huge loss. I have little sympathy for some of them.  Others were only selling with the usual margins and I have more time for them.
    Whatever your views on supply and demand (I am a Buyer to trade) I do not think anyone can doubt blatant profiteering was and still is in play.

Back to my original point I guess Rip Off is over the top.  However I fully expect Airport testing, boots testing etc will slash in price in next few weeks.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If anyone has evidence of profiteering then there's nothing stopping them from initiating action against companies doing so, for breaching the Competition Act 1998, and in particular section 18:
    18 Abuse of dominant position.

(1) Subject to section 19, any conduct on the part of one or more undertakings which amounts to the abuse of a dominant position in a market is prohibited if it may affect trade within the United Kingdom.

(2) Conduct may, in particular, constitute such an abuse if it consists in—

(a) directly or indirectly imposing unfair purchase or selling prices or other unfair trading conditions;

[...]

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2021 at 4:05PM
    Options

Whatever your views on supply and demand (I am a Buyer to trade) I do not think anyone can doubt blatant profiteering was and still is in play.

If you can source your manufacturing directly from China, Thailand or Vietnam etc. Then margins on product of any kind can be be huge. What hits is the cost of doing business in the UK. Rent, rates and the ever increasing cost of employing labour. 
  • niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These don’t sound like Oct tests, they’re lateral flow tests, just like businesses are using for their staff and some NHS trusts are using for their staff to check if they may have covid. (In the NHS if these lateral flows are positive, then a pcr test is done to confirm. )
    you can’t really compare lateral flows to pcr testing as one is a bedside test the other needs processing in a lab. Saying that, these private companies are taking the Michael for their astronomical prices for pcr tests for travel.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback