New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Antigen Test Cost Rip Off

edited 13 January at 11:35AM in Coronavirus Travel Help & Info
19 replies 611 views
superbigalsuperbigal Forumite
222 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 13 January at 11:35AM in Coronavirus Travel Help & Info
Just got this alert from one of my customer/suppliers.   The 99.3% claims will be ridiculous but shows the profiteering going on by those that are charging up to £100 for these kind of tests.  You can now obtain them for a tenth of those prices as a complete DIY system.

With the spread of COVID-19 increasing and the huge strain being put on to the NHS and other vital services, it is imperative that we keep everyone as safe as possible.

The new FlowFlex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Tests are used across the country in airports and other areas where a need for a fast result on a COVID-19 test is required. 

These high-performance kits use a nasal swab to take specimens and offer results within 10-20 minutes, meaning that as a business you can quickly identify anyone who may be infected and therefore need to self-isolate regardless of whether they are showing symptoms or not.

Details:

• Convenient nasal swabs
  • Fast results in 10-20 minutes
  • Excellent performance and reliability 
  • Room temperature storage
  • 99.3% accuracy
  • Designed for professional use

Pricing:

25 tests  -  £8.00 per test 
400 tests - £7.25 per test
800 tests - £6.50 per test 

25 tests per box - 32 boxes per outer.
Stock availability within 2-3 days.

Replies

• cattiecattie Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless I'm missing something I'd hardly call it a rip off. I was expecting to see prices quoted at £100 or more per test.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • superbigalsuperbigal Forumite
    222 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    cattie said:
    Unless I'm missing something I'd hardly call it a rip off. I was expecting to see prices quoted at £100 or more per test.
    Clearly you are missing the point.
    I am comparing to tests that cost £100 at the airport (Rip off) when you and i can buy a pack of 25 for only £200
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cattie said:
    Clearly you are missing the point.
    I am comparing to tests that cost £100 at the airport (Rip off) when you and i can buy a pack of 25 for only £200
    Ah, I see, I missed that! It's all clear to me now.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As above, it's really not out of the ordinary for that kind of cost vs. retail price discrepancy.
    Good margin = good business, and these companies doing testing have staff and other costs to pay.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    But why pay £200  and have  24 tests that you do not need? Cheaper to pay the £100
  • Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are comparing apples with pears here. The £100 will see someone process the test for you and provide you with a certificate with the result. That will get you on a plane. 

The pack of kits you buy will come with instructions of how to use them for your own reassurance and I can’t see anyone else accepting the results. 
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    77.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Will people test themselves correctly. Many most likely not. 
    “Far from seamlessly assimilating new ideas into our existing belief framework, research shows that we actually tend to get more firm in our cherished beliefs when those beliefs become challenged.”
    ― Daniel Crosby
  • edited 13 January at 10:11PM
    p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January at 10:11PM
    Will people test themselves correctly. Many most likely not. 
    The OP says that the tests mentioned are 'designed for professional use'. They sound very much like the tests our local council is facilitiating for the large businesses in the area. A requirement is that the business has an Occupational Health team or willing first aiders who would be trained to conduct the tests. 
  • DavesquireDavesquire Forumite
    11 posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    eskbanker said:
    You could make essentially the same argument about any form of retail - if you cherry-pick the underlying wholesale net unit price paid to distributors and compare it with the fully-loaded retail price (including staff, rent/rates, taxes and all the other business costs), there will always be a substantial discrepancy, which is inevitably exacerbated in an environment such as airports where customers are captive (but overheads are also higher).  The bottle of water sold in an airside WHSmith at £1.50 probably cost the company 10p from the wholesaler, for example, but the same fundamental principle applies for pretty much any retail environment even if actual margins obviously vary....
    I get where you are coming from, but come on! You don't in any way believe that there isn't a teensy teensy bit of 'captive audience with no alternative' exploitation going on? Really?
    Please to be discriminated against by financial institutions. Thank-you for taking advantage of my Dyspraxia.:)