New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Nuisance telephone calls

5 replies 317 views
KatykatKatykat Forumite
1.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Not sure where the correct board is to post but here goes. The past few early mornings we’ve had phone calls from unknown numbers on the landline. We rarely get landline calls so immediately we suspect it’s a nuisance call. The numbers begin with 160 or 130 which we know is not a recognised code. We just let it go to voicemail & of course no message is left. Does anyone know what these numbers are? Is it a computer? At the same time, I’ve had a couple of calls to my mobile, which I answered because was from a number beginning 07. Again, nobody on the other end. These calls were also quite odd as both of them had very similar numbers to my own mobile number- just the last 2 digits were different. I find that too much of a coincidence. Clearly something is going on but I can’t fathom out what. 
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Replies

• ToxicWombleToxicWomble Forumite
    868 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Which phone line provider are you with ?

There was/is one that was notorious for sharing and piggy backing single lines with multiple end users which leads to weird calls at weird hours (when they figure you won’t be using the line)
  • MnoeeMnoee Forumite
    111 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I had one from a mobile with a similar number to mine (smarty network) that gave me a spiel about my national insurance number being cancelled recently - the day before was a silent call from London. I just block and forget about them. They're like busses sometimes, none for ages then a spate of them. 
  • KatykatKatykat Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭

There was/is one that was notorious for sharing and piggy backing single lines with multiple end users which leads to weird calls at weird hours (when they figure you won’t be using the line)
    Sky for landline & mobile 
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Was going to suggest similar, but Sky wasn't on my Radar for this.

It does sound a bit odd
  • edited 15 January at 11:55AM
    nyermennyermen Forumite
    528 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 15 January at 11:55AM
    I've had a few calls to the landline recently (unlisted, number not given to anyone since I moved in, just there for broadband).  All seem to be spoof numbers, as they're an extra 0, eg. 00771 (rather than 0771 which would be a UK mobile number) or similar.
    I suspect they are trying to trick to ring them back, and 0077 would dial eg. Kazakstan.  Maybe there's a premium rate waiting at the other end?
    So far, I've had numbers that would go to Malta, Kazakstan, and one other I forget.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.