Claiming on Home Insurance for Roof Repairs

Hi folks,
            I have a leak, almost certainly due to a problem with the lead valley gutter behind my chimney.  The minimum repair would be to replace the lead and the timber supporting it, though in an ideal world, I'd probably have all the flashing replaced and the chimney re-pointed.  The roof is 80 years old, but its corrugated inter-locking Marley tiles, with a felt under-lay, which is in generally good condition, so might last a few more decades before needing to be completely re-roofed.

I reckon the minimum amount of lead valley gutter repairs, could be done by a pair of roofers in half a day, so could cost £500 - £1000, or if they deem that scaffolding is required, then £1500 - £2000.  I have minimal home insurance from LV and my annual premiums are about £60 per year.

I guess if I make a claim, my premiums will go up?  If I switch to another insurer upon renewal, would I need to declare that I've made a claim?  Or do insurers share this information within the industry?

Also the lead valley gutter spans both sides of the party wall, though the leak is only on my side.  Is an insurer likely to spot that its a semi, and likely to ask the neighbour's insurer to pay half of the cost?

I will be getting the work done with or without the insurance claim, just wondering on what's the most prudent approach?

Many thanks in advance for any insights. 

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You are missing the bigger bit... your home insurance isnt a maintenance policy but covers damaged caused by insured perils. To be able to make a claim you would have to be able demonstrate such a peril has occurred and caused the damage, eg there was a big storm that ripped off tiles etc.

From what you are saying this is just a maintenance in which case a claim will be rejected. 

If you make a claim, even if its rejected, you would have to declare this to all future insurers for 3-5 years (depends on your new insurer) and will impact your premiums. Insurers do share information to catch those that attempt fraud by not declaring claims but you cannot say you've had no claims and then "rely" on them finding out this was a lie.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,922
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Your claim will probably fail as it sounds as though it's a maintenance issue, but in theory yes if you make a claim your premiums will probably rise, and you have to declare it upon renewal.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Will premiums really rise merely because of a misguided claim, even if it's clear that no insured event has actually occurred?
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    Forumite
    davidmcn said:
    Will premiums really rise merely because of a misguided claim, even if it's clear that no insured event has actually occurred?
    Often a loss adjuster will be appointed and go out to make the decision on if the damage is storm related or maintenance etc, particularly if the weather reports do show storms at the time. Therefore the claim will have a cost associated to it even if its just to the loss adjusting company... though repudiated handling fees are often the same as if the claim had been settled (to avoid the moral risk of claims being approved to increase the fees).
  • THank you so much for your thoughts on this, which are very helpful and much appreciated.
  • xewecan
    xewecan Posts: 15
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 November 2023 at 11:56PM
    Anyone here have any experience with roof replacement and homeowner's insurance, from the homeowner's perspective, or from being in the roofing biz (or even the insurance biz, I guess!)? How much does a roof damage claim jack up your premiums, and/or for how long? It's probably one of those "it depends" answers...
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,184
    Forumite
    It will increase premiums for up to 5 years but will taper off fairly quickly unless you have other claims. 

It'd be unusual for insurers to pay for a full replacement, storm is the normal risk that damages roofs and a well maintained roof won't come off in the average uk storm. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback