We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car allowance and fuel card

I'm just looking at a new job which has the option of an annual car allowance plus fuel card. I then have to pay back any private miles that I do.

I've never had this before so I'm just curious how it works and what kind of rates I'm likely to get for private mileage and difficulty of logging private mileage
«1

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,750 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Likely to repay private mileage at around 11ppm.  Look up the amap rates.
    Logging mileage is easy - just write each journey start and end mileage in a diary kept in the car.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Remember that commuting to the office is private mileage.
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Can see it being tricky just for trips to the shop and stuff like that
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,641 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    FYI, your employer-in-waiting (fingers crossed) may use a 3rd party company for mileage reporting; The Miles Consultancy is one example. You could make this one of your near-end interview questions? (If that wouldn't be too presumptuous).

    Jenni x
    Jenni x
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Not sure how often I'd need to submit it. If it's like monthly, then I just subtract my business mileage from actual mileage to give me private mileage.
  • AdrianC said:
    Remember that commuting to the office is private mileage.
    Unless your contract has your place of work as home office. OP might be looking at a regional sales job, the actual office maybe some distance away
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,641 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    It depends - different companies do things in different ways. My company requires us to record the closing mileage at each month end, but also to record each business trip each day. Mileage difference between months less accumulated business trips equals personal miles.

    Jenni x
    Jenni x
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,641 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sorry - that reply was to @stuarta99 ... your reply came in while I was typing. :)

    Jenni x
    Jenni x
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ok thanks that's what I'm thinking. I make a note of the starting month mileage, then record each business trip and subtract that from the end month mileage.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,750 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    stuarta99 said:
    Ok thanks that's what I'm thinking. I make a note of the starting month mileage, then record each business trip and subtract that from the end month mileage.
    That's the easiest way.
    Just keep a diary in the car.  Oh, and a pen.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.