Fighting Redundancy - Risky?

Hi folks,

Further to my recent post, I have been giving further consideration to my post being put "at risk" and have pulled together a letter about why I think my role is not redundant (or at least not for the reason they say it is). My intention was to share the letter with them at the consultation meeting (on Monday next week) rather than vocalise them because I'm not sure I can vocalise them without getting upset about it, and because I may miss something out.

Anyway i'm now having second thoughts about whether to fight the redundancy or whether to just hope redeployment can happen or even I get a payoff and find a new job.

As background, my previous line manager (a senior role in the org) left about 18 months ago and I got on well with him, always got ratings of Very Good in my DPR, the department was very successful and all was good. He then left and the person that came in (essentially a cost cutting exercise by bringing new person in to run our business area and keep running his other business area at the same time) had no experience or knowledge of our business area . In contrast I was very experienced of our business area and very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the business.

One of the issues I was going to raise as part of the consultation is that I actually think my manager wants rid of me as i'm seen as disruptive / negative since I sometimes challenge him (politely and respectfully) and he doesn't like it and finds me difficult to manage (something I put down to his poor management rather than me being difficult). I'm certainly not perfect, do make occasionally make mistakes and have found my role during covid - as the rest of the business staff have found their own roles - a challenge. However no issues have ever formally been raised with my performance. So I think they're using redundancy as a way to get rid of me. To be honest I don't want to stay either as i've not enjoyed the role since the new manager came in and all trust is gone, but its a tough world out there and I have bills to pay so also don't want to risk leaving unless I must.

So I am tempted to challenge the redundancy on the above basis (and for other reasons) to either see if I can delay or change the decision, or if not then in the hope that they would offer a better settlement to get rid of me.

My concern is that in challenging the decision and especially challenging the relationship with / management by my manager, I may !!!!!! him off even further and end up with a rubbish reference and screw up my chance of a job elsewhere in future.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether its worth challenging redundancy? Has it ever changed the outcome?
A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.


  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Not read the other posts

    In these cases in usually comes down to pecking order and who you can get on your side above your line manager.

    This could be difficult if you have not been cultivating the good will of others and making sure the various stakeholders know your value to the business.

    Ultimately you often need the boss of the boss to be on your side.

    The consultation is there to consult and identify options that reduce the impact or the need for redundancies.

    You need to focus on what you bring to the company and why they need to keep you.
    Either in this current job or potentially somewhere else

    Generally not a good idea to say/imply your manager is rubbish as you probably don't know their objectives.

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not advisable to go in all guns blazing at the initial consultation meeting.  You don't know the matrix that is going to used to decide who is selected for redundancy yet. Nor if it is you. Save your ammunition for later. When it is time to respond. 
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you do not get on with this manager it is probably  best to negociate the best package you can to leave however it is worth listening to what they say first before giving any kind of response. They should give you time to mull over the options available before asking for a response. if they do not offer this then  ask for a week. Once you see what it is up for consultation you address the issues raised.
  • avawat20
    avawat20 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That's the point of the consultation meeting - but stick to pure facts. If you have solide evidence of this dislike from your manager then maybe but don't do it based on unsubstantiated claims.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards