We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vodaphone: Money-Grabbing End of Contract Concerns

Options
I rang Vodaphone on the 14th November to cancel my contract, fully one month before my contract ended. I was told to ring on the 15th December, and that I did not have to ring a month in advance. When I rang on the 1th December I was told i did not have to cancel the contract and that it would be cancelled automatically when my sim was registered with another company.
On the 26th December Vodaphone swiped another month payment of £26 to cover the period of 15th December to 15 January 2021. 
What sort of money grabbing con is it to not allow someone to close their contract after asking to twice, and then charging them another month's line rental after the contarct should have ended? It presents an ignoble trading posture.

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paul10012 said:
    I rang Vodaphone on the 14th November to cancel my contract, fully one month before my contract ended. I was told to ring on the 15th December, and that I did not have to ring a month in advance. When I rang on the 1th December I was told i did not have to cancel the contract and that it would be cancelled automatically when my sim was registered with another company.
    So, did you get a PAC from Voda and transfer to another network?
    If not, your contract continues.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 January 2021 at 12:01AM
    Options
    I've swapped providers half a dozen times, inc from Vodafone without issue, but it can occasionally go wrong. You do need to confirm you received a PAC from vodafone which you then gave  to your new provider, as this is what stops the vodafone contract. Depending when you this is done in your billing cycle, it may result in another bill that will be refunded later on
  • chistery
    chistery Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you left around or after the 15th Dec then it's normal that the bill will be produced and Vodafone will "swipe" the money from your account 10 days later. If you then terminate that contract before the next billing period, your bill on 15th Jan will include a credit and that will get refunded to you.
    Can't see how Vodafone have done anything wrong here based on the info given.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently switched from Plusnet to Three by using a pac and on the next Plusnet billing cycle date I received a refund for the unused days. 

I think the OP is jumping the gun a bit with his assumptions
  • Paul10012
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I will wait to see if I do get a refund. If the money is refunded automatically, they are taking liberties by taking money out of my bank that is not owed to them, and then refunding it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure