Waiting on early discharge and new job-HELP?

Options
Hi there,I went BK march 19 this year, in Oct I was told I was eligible for early discharge so I completed the forms and took them in.I have still not heard anything so contacted the OR and he said they are busy but it is all looking ok and hopefully I may get a letter before Xmas....My problem is I have I am currently unemployed but have a new job to start on the 7th Jan...what if I have not had my early discharge letter by then-I know I have to by law contact the OR and inform of a change in circumstance but is there a few weeks i could wait in case I receive my early discharge? As you can see even if not early discharged I am up for auto discharge in march so how gutted will I be if I start this job then be hit with an IPO/IPA.....!

Please help-any advice would be grateful....

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the board.

You have 21 days in which to inform the OR of any changes to your income. So by the 28th of January.

Don't forget if you are working then your expenses will go up. Clothes for work, transport etc. We could always look at your I&E for you at the time.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Bigootang_2
    Options
    Cheers Tigerfeet,am so stressed out about this,was really hoping to have heard back by now....Am almost thinking of not starting the job but I have to work....Am so close to being discharged,just hope this will all go through ok....
  • Bigootang_2
    Options
    Oh, the other thing is this job will have a basic and a commission although I wil have to perform in order to get that but worst case scenario and i get stuffed with an IPA/IPO and it is worked out on my basic how does the OR take extra when I get commission?
    Also this could be for upto 3 years.....!And all for my not waiting just a few months to start work.....
  • Addicted2Chocolate
    Options
    Would it be so awful to get an IPA and pay back some money to your creditors?
  • Bigootang_2
    Options
    Hi Chocolate,I wouldn't mind,but they have already had my flat and used the equity if any in that towards any outstanding debt and that is why I have waited this long to start the search for a new job,I waited until the letter about early discharge then started looking....So no, I don't really want to be tied up for another 3 years and not being able to move on.....
  • Addicted2Chocolate
    Options
    I can see your point. Its right you have to notify of change within 21 days.
    I know you want a fresh job, but the bankruptcy is meant to get as much money back to your creditors as possible. You will still be discharged on 1st anniversary of bankruptcy, even if you get an IPA.
    Its your choice: either delay starting work till discharged, or start work as planned and notify OR as is your legal duty, or start work as planned and dont play by the rules hoping you wont get caught!
    You must have a surplus of income over essential expenses of at least £100 before you will be asked for IPA.
  • Bigootang_2
    Options
    Cheers,I know I will still get discharged,but that IPA then lasts for upto 3 years.....!Think will keep fingers crossed hear something soon,if not will have to start and hope to hear something,then if not will have inform the OR by the 21st day.....
    I just wnat a bit of good luck for once,to put in context my cheap little citroen I was using to get to interviews and the laundrtte and would have used to get to work was written off yesterday, I was only TPF + T so i will probably not get anything for it....
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Early discharge? In most cases the OR will try to get the 'report to creditors' done by about 8 weeks once you've sent your paperwork back. But where things go from there and how long it takes depends on your case and how busy the OR's office is.

Unless the OR has any issues to sort out with you, it could well be 2-3 months after you sent back paperwork before you hear anything (maybe) an early discharge is NEVER guaranteed though so you still might be looking at 12mnths.

I went BR back in march sent my early discharge papers back in august & received my early discharge in November...nearly 8mnths to the day
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Bigootang_2
    Options
    thanks,so from the time of sending in early discharge papers - about 3 months......Therefore I put mine in on the 8th Oct,so........

I just dont want to be stuffed,just want a discharge, early or otherwise and not have to pay ongoing for the past....
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bigootang wrote: »
    thanks,so from the time of sending in early discharge papers - about 3 months......Therefore I put mine in on the 8th Oct,so........

I just dont want to be stuffed,just want a discharge, early or otherwise and not have to pay ongoing for the past....

3 months was a guide.....depends on how snowed under your OR office is this MAY be longer depends on how long its taken to write to your creditors, the OR then has to allow time for creditors to contact them with any objections. as I said it's not always a dead cert for ED you still might have to wait 12mnths, I was 8mnths in total, i've known other people send paperwork back & are still waiting 9 month or so...hopefully you wont wait long..it all hangs on if you case has any complications etc & the workload of your OR office.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure