Adult Social Care - advice appreciated

Options

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't know what is involved with a bath lift but getting a walk in shower or wetroom organised would, I suspect, take longer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I will ask her to ask them if they can provide written evidence of their assessment and recommendations. I think that will be the best. 
    She doesn't have the amount of savings they were asking her, they quoted like £23k, she has a few thousand. 
    She spoke with two people, it was the first person that basically said, yes this service would be good and that service would be good however you would need to arrange and fund these yourself. No financial assessment has been completed. 
    The second person who rang her was an OT and all they asked was how she got in and out of the bath and more details about the fall she had. 
    I understand the lift thing would be easier and quicker than the shower, however, this is my mums decision and I cant force her into something she does not want, what I suspect she will want to do is, if they cant help with the shower, she will just save a bit more and then use some of her savings to pay for a walk in shower herself, she will of course have to speak to the housing association for permission. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they haven't done a financial assessment they can't possibly tell your mother she will have to organise and pay for it herself. That needs clarifying as well. 
    It would be worth checking with the housing association if they have any grants for adaptations for a wetroom. These normally need an OT recommendation so going back to them and having further discussions around your mother's safety/eyesight concerns with a bath lift would help with that. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will get onto it right away and see what we can do. Yes I thought it was weird that they were suggesting local services but insisting she paid as I had read online they completed a financial assessment. 
  • elsien
    edited 3 February 2021 at 6:40PM
    Options
    How to challenge an inaccurate assessment. Some of them are very poor and your mother has the right to accuracy. 
    Social care assessment complaints | Disability charity Scope UK
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks once again. I appreciate the time, and effort you have all put in!! 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will get onto it right away and see what we can do. Yes I thought it was weird that they were suggesting local services but insisting she paid as I had read online they completed a financial assessment. 
    What was it they were saying she'd have to pay for?  Was it their recommendation (the bath lift) or did they possibly mean she would have to pay for anything beyond what was recommended?
  • elsien
    edited 3 February 2021 at 7:20PM
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    What was it they were saying she'd have to pay for?  Was it their recommendation (the bath lift) or did they possibly mean she would have to pay for anything beyond what was recommended?
    That's a good point - I hadn't considered that.

All the more reason though to confirm in writing what the assessed needs actually are. Don't ask them if she can have it in writing - tell them that's what she wants. It is a legislative requirement.

(3)The local authority must give a written record of a needs assessment to—

(a)the adult to whom the assessment relates,

(b)any carer that the adult has, if the adult asks the authority to do so, and

(c)any other person to whom the adult asks the authority to give a copy

How can you check if something is correct or not, if you can't see what's been put in it? 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes I’ll get her to ask for it and then confirm what’s been recommended. 
  • elsien
    edited 3 February 2021 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Disabled Facilities Grants: How to apply - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Caveat - I don't know how severe a need has to be to access this, but if you don't ask.....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback