We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Are the UKs Car Plants working

I did a search on Google but couldn't find any recent or up to date information as to how lockdowns are affecting car plants in the UK. Anyone able to help please?
«13

Comments

  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I very much doubt you'll get any day-by-day updates, simply because of commercial confidentiality. But this time of year they may well be on seasonal closures anyway.

    Having said that, just from the last month:

    9/12 - Honda halts Swindon production due to "parts delays"
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/honda-halts-production-swindon-due-parts-delays-0
    (due to close permanently in 2021 anyway)

    14/12 - JLR halts Castle Brom production due to "covid-hit suppliers"
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/jaguar-land-rover-halts-production-castle-bromwich

    19/12 - Mini Oxford "no plans, stockpiled parts"
    https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18954442.bmws-mini-plant-preparing-supply-chain-ahead-brexit/

    21/12 - Toyota bring winter close-down forward by one day due to "border chaos"
    https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/toyota-halt-production-burnaston-plant-4821484
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    FiestaRed said:
    I did a search on Google but couldn't find any recent or up to date information as to how lockdowns are affecting car plants in the UK. Anyone able to help please?
    For what reason?  Are you looking for a job?

    I'm sure most of them are still working, just probably with reduced productivity.
  • FiestaRed
    FiestaRed Posts: 111 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 January 2021 at 11:53AM
    Thanks for the help. I have a car on order that I'm told is "being built" and I just wondered how much of a delay there could be.
  • As supply chains in the automotive industry are global and different manufacturers (and even different models) will be using different suppliers it is going to be a fairly hard question to answer for anyone other than the manufacturers themselves. Have you spoken to the garage you are buying from? How far off is the expected delivery date? 
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    FiestaRed said:
    Thanks for the help. I have a car on order that I'm told is "being built" and I just wondered how much of a delay there could be.
    I'm assuming you know for sure the car is being built in the UK.  
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    FiestaRed said:
    Thanks for the help. I have a car on order that I'm told is "being built" and I just wondered how much of a delay there could be.
    What is it?
  • Not a red Fiesta, is it? ;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Not a red Fiesta, is it? ;)
    Unlikely, since Fiestas haven't been built in the UK since the fourth-generation (95-02) model, the last car to be built at Dagenham. We're on the seventh generation now.

    Ford don't build any vehicles at all in the UK. Halewood stopped building Fords in 2000, with the end of the Escort, and is now a JLR plant. Southampton stopped building Transits in 2013.
  • AdrianC said:
    Not a red Fiesta, is it? ;)
    Unlikely, since Fiestas haven't been built in the UK since the fourth-generation (95-02) model, the last car to be built at Dagenham. We're on the seventh generation now.

    Ford don't build any vehicles at all in the UK. Halewood stopped building Fords in 2000, with the end of the Escort, and is now a JLR plant. Southampton stopped building Transits in 2013.
    Sorry Adrian, it was a tongue in cheek remark based on the OP's username.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    AdrianC said:
    Not a red Fiesta, is it? ;)
    Unlikely, since Fiestas haven't been built in the UK since the fourth-generation (95-02) model, the last car to be built at Dagenham. We're on the seventh generation now.

    Ford don't build any vehicles at all in the UK. Halewood stopped building Fords in 2000, with the end of the Escort, and is now a JLR plant. Southampton stopped building Transits in 2013.
    Sorry Adrian, it was a tongue in cheek remark based on the OP's username.
    I did get that... I just chose to play it with a straight bat...

    It's amazing how many people think Ford are "British".
    The same people who believe the Vauxhall "British Brand" marketing guff... At least an Opel Vx buyer has a 50/50 change of their Astra being lobbed together by Scousers.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.