2021 - let’s start again!!

Dizzy_DitzyDizzy_Ditzy Forumite, Board Guide
17.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
I closed my previous thread as I wanted to start a whole new one. I started last year with £5K and finished with £3.5K. Last year was expensive! I stopped putting anything away in September as I knew I had an expensive Christmas coming up. Anyway, my house plans are only put back by about a year so far.

As the clocks changed last night I switched back into miser mode and am back in the swing of saving again. I’ve not spent any money yet today 😂 

COVID saw me shopping at Morrisons as I liked their NHS hour and 10% discount but I found myself spending more money so I’m going back to shopping at Lidl, Aldi or Iceland. I’ll save more than the 10% discount doing it that way. I’m meal planning again. I plan to start either walking or cycling to work again to save petrol. 

I don’t think it’s too ambitious to aim for £10K by the end of the year. That’s £6.5K in a year. That’s doable, right? 
I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to [email protected]

Replies

• RadsiRadsi Forumite
    4 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I guess it depends how much disposable income you have. I am also NHS and my pay varies widely month to month so budgeted everything including a realistic saving amount each month from the lowest my salary could ever be and could then skim the extras for other things if needed. Budgetting and making my money work for me knowing where every penny was going helped me to successfully save a lot of money. 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to your new diary Dizzy!
    I don't think that's a wildly ambitious figure, if for some reason you fall short by the end of the year then owe yourself the money and start paying it back over the next few years.

Do a financial plan, so you know what outgoings are due throughout the year, makes it easier to budget and save. 

Double check your outgoings to see where you can save money too.

You'll get plenty of support here and we're a tight-knit group, always passing on hints, tips and encouragement 🤗
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Dizzy 🤗 Happy new year, happy new diary. 

I know what you mean about shopping at Morrisons I was getting mine delivered via free trial of amazon prime but was spending much more so I have now returned to aldi. 

I’m sure you will achieve your savings goal for 2021 you sound very determined. I will be following your progress 😊
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzy welcome back. We missed ya babe. I hope you are ok and well it must be manic at your end. Bless you all for all your hard work in the last year. PS, your target is wonderful. I'm in miser mode too. Sandwiches to work, walk to supermarket, try to buy yellow sticker items where poss and only buy essentials to build up my sinking funds fund for 2021. 
    Try to have a minimal spend year in 2021
    Saving change in money box.
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    884 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hello and popping in to wave and ch eer you n Dizzy! :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • longway2golongway2go Forumite
    847 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Dizzy, 
    Think positive, you can do this  :)
    Happy New Diary and Happy New Year 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:
    Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675 🙂
    EF 8540/12,000 (71%)

Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :j
    Onwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :j
    Just keep swimming
  • Dizzy_DitzyDizzy_Ditzy Forumite, Board Guide
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to your new diary Dizzy!
    I don't think that's a wildly ambitious figure, if for some reason you fall short by the end of the year then owe yourself the money and start paying it back over the next few years.

Do a financial plan, so you know what outgoings are due throughout the year, makes it easier to budget and save. 

Double check your outgoings to see where you can save money too.

You'll get plenty of support here and we're a tight-knit group, always passing on hints, tips and encouragement 🤗
    Every month i do a list of incoming and outgoings and have done for a couple of years. I just let things slip quite a bit in the last part of last year 🙄 but I’m determined to get back on track again 😀 (I had a thread last year - bricks and mortar it was called or something like that) 
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to [email protected]

17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzy welcome back. We missed ya babe. I hope you are ok and well it must be manic at your end. Bless you all for all your hard work in the last year. PS, your target is wonderful. I'm in miser mode too. Sandwiches to work, walk to supermarket, try to buy yellow sticker items where poss and only buy essentials to build up my sinking funds fund for 2021. 
    Thanks lovely SW 😊 

it seems even harder this time round with work 😒 don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for my job but who’d choose to work for the NHS during a pandemic?? They told us today that we need to WFH even more and just pop into the office a couple of times a week to deal with paperwork. Suits me I guess as I’ll be able to cycle or walk to work on their time and not mine 🤣 not sure when that’s going to start although I guess it’ll be pretty soon. 

We can do this 🤞

I’ve put an extra £20 in the pot so far this week - £10 Thunderball win and £10 I was given at work for something. I don’t know how much is in my sealed tin of £2 coins as I didn’t bother opening it this time round as I’ve not dealt with cash since March last year 🤣

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a look after posting and noticed I'd been commenting on your old thread when that one was going 🙈

Get your income / outgoings spreadsheet going, helps you feel more in control.

That's a good financial start to the month / year.
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stuck £400 in my saving account today 😀 hopefully next week I’ll be able to bung £200 in my HTB but so far, off to a cracking start this year 👏