We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much to live on

1…375376378380381…397

Comments

  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 310
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks Nebulous 2, I had a government gateway account but not accessed it for about 3 years, when I'm in the mood for a challenge I'll try, fortunately my tax bill rarely makes it into 3 figures, but if it does, I'll certainly check it out.

  • Pat38493
    Pat38493 Posts: 3,608
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I used the nuclear option to get around this whole issue of savings interest reporting - I deliberately triggered a very small reportable capital gain which then means I could register for self assessement and put in all the exactly correct data myself.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,694
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Once I get my final statement I will attempt to ring my friends at HMRC.

    You are probably aware of this, but if you phone at 08.00 sharp, you normally get through significantly quicker.

  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,680
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Albermarle I did hear someone else say this. Hopefully at 8am they will be bright eyed and bushy tailed, wide awake and eager to help me!

    We can but hope 🤩

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,694
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    That is not guaranteed 😀, but at least someone normally answers within 10 to 20 mins ( after you have listened to a a couple of minutes of blurb)

    I tried once at 07.59 - I got all the automatic blurb but at the end nothing happened. So phoning at 08.00 and say 15 seconds is probably the best bet.

  • angieb15edin
    angieb15edin Posts: 38
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    maybe not on Monday morning if they stayed up to watch the football!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.