B&m complaint,

I hope someone can advise me, I bought a rug from B&m,  however the day after  my grandaughter was playing on the rug and there was a piece of wood sticking out of it which I could only describe as a cocktail stick, one end was spikey, the other was flat, however, while she was playing it stuck into her leg, which she was crying, I emailed b&m with pictures of the wood and her leg, they have told me that they have no idea how it got there, to which I replied that it must have been from the manufacturer as the wood has the identical colour of the dye on it. B&m are not accepting any responsibility for it, they have offered me as a "gesture of goodwill" a voucher for £20 which I have refused, I just want to make sure that this does not happen again, 

wins so far:- absolutely nothing, not even an arguement:mad:

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    carla40 said:
    they have offered me as a "gesture of goodwill" a voucher for £20 which I have refused, I just want to make sure that this does not happen again,
    I would take the £20. You don't have a right to "make sure it doesn't happen again".
  • If they aren't hiding themselves away, try to contact the Environmental Services at your local council, a contact email might be on the council website or some Google might bring up an email address. They will be best placed to address something like this. 
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    make sure it does not happen again how ??
    Not that easy as stuff can escape notice at all stages .
    You have complained and you could also complain to the manufacturer if possible .
    Thats rather a big stick not to be noticed upon opening .
  • How much are you after?
  • Can you be sure the stick wasn't deposited into the rug after it was laid?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That looks exactly like they little cocktail sticks you get in packs of mini chicken skewers, even has the exact marking of having two chunks of chicken on it. That could have come into your house stuck on someone's shoe and only dislodged on the rug.

Did you not vacuum your brand new rug to remover any storage/manufacturing dust or debris as soon as you put it down? If you had, unless you have a really crap vacuum, it would have picked that up.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You have no evidence that the manufacturer or B&M have been negligent. It is just as likely that any negligence was on yourself or another member of your family.
    I would take the generous offer of £20.

Past caring about first world problems.
  • You’ll have to prove it first. Hard to do. 
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Take the £20.  No one has suffered any long term harm, you can’t make sure it doesnt happen again but  how much do they need to offer so you can think it won’t happen again?
  • Absolute madness, £20 is much more than that story is worth. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback