Mobile Insurance Claim - Proof of usage?

Options
1986mike
1986mike Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 December 2020 at 4:11PM in Mobiles
I bought a phone for a friend for his Birthday in August, it was an iPhone 11 from the apple store. He insured it straight after getting it, policy being in his name. His phone was recently stolen and he filed a police report and gave that to the insurance provider, I also sent him the receipts I got from the Apple store (which had my name on it). 
The company then asked for "written evidence from the purchaser outlining the circumstances of the gift", which I have written up, signed and scanned and sent to him to be provided as evidence. 
They have also sent a list of additional evidence required which includes proof of usage

"Proof of usage: Only if you are making a claim within 30 days of taking out your policy OR your device was bought for you by a third party.
Please provide proof from your network provider showing the usage of your insured device. The documentation provided must show the dates of when the device was first and last used, details of the time of use and your IMEI number.
We are unable to accept mobile phone bills as evidence of proof of identification and usage."

I bought the phone as a "sim free" handset from apple (they do not provide contracts), my friend then put his existing sim card in the phone. The bills or network provider documents wont have any IMEI on it for that reason.

He hasn't called back the company as they are closed for Christmas, but I would like to know what should be said to them when they are contacted.

Thank you

The insurance provider is "insurance 2 go" and the claim processing company is "Citymain Administrators"

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would suggest that he needs to ask his network provider for the evidence that is required. I think that the network does record the IMEI when calls are made and data passed across it, it's just not show on bills as it isn't part of the account information. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    I would suggest that he needs to ask his network provider for the evidence that is required. I think that the network does record the IMEI when calls are made and data passed across it, it's just not show on bills as it isn't part of the account information. 
    This is right. The phone companies have a standard letter they can send your friend that will show the IMEI and the first and last times it was used on the network. 
  • Zellah
    Zellah Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OP, this is the letter EE sent me (arrived within a few mins by email) when I was requested to provide a similar letter to the insurance company. I have a sim only plan with EE.

• 1986mike
    Options
    Zellah said:
    OP, this is the letter EE sent me (arrived within a few mins by email) when I was requested to provide a similar letter to the insurance company. I have a sim only plan with EE.

Thank you for posting this, hopefully Three will be helpful with it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback