Cost of new Animal Health Certificate

As we become a part 2 listed country for travel with pets to EU, we will need an AHC every time we travel. That sounds reasonable enough, although the EU pet passport would be easier. The horror story unfolds though when you ask your vet what they will charge you for each certificate. Mine has quoted £100 per certificate. As we travel 3 or 4 times a year in to EU with 2 dogs, that is quite a considerable rise in costs to do what we did before for nothing (apart from initial passport cost as passport valid for life). You will still need a rabies booster every 3 years. 
Anyone else been quoted a price yet?

Comments

• Shop around?
  • Pay someone to house sit and look after dogs?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-vet/general-practice/services/animal-health-certificate

How much does a animal health certificate cost?

An Animal Health Certificate costs £93.50*( This is the consultation and includes reviewing & finalising all your documents. Any vaccinations or medications required in addition will incur additional charges). A microchip is £16.28 and will only need to be implanted once. A Rabies vaccination costs £50.40 – this will need to be repeated every three years to allow continual travel under the Pet Travel Scheme.

• Nottingham Knight......of course, but most vets don’t seem to have a published price as yet. That’s why I asked if anyone else had researched this yet.
  • JonesMUFCforever......not possible. We go for too many weeks at a time and my dogs are older now and not good at being left. They are used to the trip over to France by tunnel so we would always want to take them. We have a second home there and it wouldn’t feel right to be there without them. ☹️
  • Sheramber.....I saw that too when googling! But that was the only one I found. Can’t see how they can justify the cost. I have seen the form and it’s not that complicated. 
  • I've wasted a couple of hundred quid on blood tests as we were going away in January (now cancelled).  This is what the Gov web site advised in September.
  • "Can’t see how they can justify the cost."
    Might be worth asking you vet how that amount is calculated  ?
    Alternatively - The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons has a code of conduct for members - they could advise the factors etc. involved.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 December 2020 at 4:21PM
    "Can’t see how they can justify the cost."
    Might be worth asking you vet how that amount is calculated  ?
    Alternatively - The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons has a code of conduct for members - they could advise the factors etc. involved.

THE  statement of costs above is from the RCVS.
    I think there  is also cost  involved in being accredited. Only accredited vets can complete the form.
    It also takes up the vet's time  which you pay for.
    I know one person said her vet surgery are no longer going to do it due the costs and time involved. 

That is just one of many things that will increase  in cost due to Brexit.
  • The cost does seem expensive when you consider that on returning to UK, our French vet carries out a physical exam of the dogs, weight, temp, looks in ears, eyes, mouth, all over body check for any swellings etc, and gives the tape worm tablet and then completes 2 sections of the pet passport. Takes about 10 minutes each dog and charges us 23 euros per dog. I had anticipated the new AHC would be about the same, considering all the vet has to do is fill in info from the dog’s record, held on Vet’s computer, confirming rabies jab up to date etc. Can’t see how this is going to cost £100 of vet time.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback