We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Back account closed no reason

Options

Comments

• funkycredit
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    That case is relevant as to the bank trying to hide behind "security processes" aka avoid explaining themselves. So it's extremely important as they always say "we can't discuss it. It's a security measure". If so then a SAR must have been submitted to the NCA. If not and they're utilising their rules then they've illegally withheld my money pending completion of an unlawful form with unreasonable requests. 

Either way - they've breached their own terms and the law.
    You previously said they told you the reason was too many accounts, not security reasons ("I've had my NatWest accounts closed. No warning. Nothing. The reason? I opened too many accounts.")?

So all in, if you don't know then leave it. The OP and others in this situation will fully understand what I'm saying here. 
    Nobody on here can say with any certainty why OP's friend's account was closed, but it was clearly for a different reason than your situation if they only had a single account, so best not to try to draw too many parallels between different scenarios....
    They never told me this. I deduced this based on ruling out the other factors and lawful reasons. ;) 

Agreed - I'm just saying that it's extremely common and happening to thousands of people. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    That case is relevant as to the bank trying to hide behind "security processes" aka avoid explaining themselves. So it's extremely important as they always say "we can't discuss it. It's a security measure". If so then a SAR must have been submitted to the NCA. If not and they're utilising their rules then they've illegally withheld my money pending completion of an unlawful form with unreasonable requests. 

You previously said they told you the reason was too many accounts, not security reasons ("I've had my NatWest accounts closed. No warning. Nothing. The reason? I opened too many accounts.")?
    They never told me this. I deduced this based on ruling out the other factors and lawful reasons. ;) 
    Ah right, I took that statement at face value, I didn't realise you were just speculating and that you don't actually know the reason....
  • funkycredit
    funkycredit Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2020 at 6:32PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    eskbanker said:

Ah right, I took that statement at face value, I didn't realise you were just speculating and that you don't actually know the reason....
    No I don't know the reason (yet). They're saying they can't discuss so we're pushing full disclosure based on Lonsdale v NatWest. But they're saying no SAR was ever sent. 

So it limits exactly what I've done doesn't it? Luckily I'm the individual and KNOW what I've *not* done. 

The *only* thing I may have breached is the multiple accounts, but I've a chat record confirming it's fine and then it was opened no problem. How is any of that my fault? 

At worst they should have said "we are closing your accounts in X days due to account irregularities" or similar. They should NOT block all access to funds, charge me the fee, allow me to go OD then report this to the CRA's. Sorry. That's nonsense. 

It's the banks fault. It's their problem. It's their doing. 100%. 
  • Old_Lifer
    Options
    It appears your 'friend' at the start of the thread has now become you.

If you are  'winning' as you said at  4.59pm  why do you need to ask for advice ?

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Old_Lifer said:

If you are  'winning' as you said at  4.59pm  why do you need to ask for advice ?
    The OP wasn't funkycredit
  • funkycredit
    funkycredit Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2020 at 6:33PM
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    Old_Lifer said:

The OP wasn't funkycredit
    Nope. I'm just backing up the way NatWest is behaving is utterly vile. 🍻
  • Old_Lifer
    Options
    My error.    Obliged to you Ed-1
  • funkycredit
    Options
    Old_Lifer said:

I've no "friends" on here?

I am winning. I'm simply stating that NatWest are behaving appallingly and explaining my issues as an innocent bank customer who fell foul to unlawful rules, activities and actions. 
  • eskbanker
    Options
    The *only* thing I may have breached is the multiple accounts, but I've a chat record confirming it's fine and then it was opened no problem. How is any of that my fault? 

At worst they should have said "we are closing your accounts in X days due to account irregularities" or similar. They should NOT block all access to funds, charge me the fee, allow me to go OD then report this to the CRA's. Sorry. That's nonsense. 

It's the banks fault. It's their problem. It's their doing. 100%. 
    Perhaps contrary to impressions, I'm not actually defending NatWest here, so yes, if they've been shutting down accounts without notice and without sufficient reason then they should definitely be held to account for that, although the degree to which they're actually obliged to disclose those reasons in detail is obviously up for debate, and hence that case you referred to, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Having said that, if you've opened multiple Reward accounts against their terms, while formally declaring in the account application that you've read and accepted those terms, then you do have at least some culpability, despite apparently inaccurate contradictory information being provided by one of their employees - that doesn't override Ts & Cs, although obviously you can, and presumably will, claim that you believed and were influenced by that advice!
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    Even if they can hide behind one of their immediate closure reasons (based on a spurious suspicion alone), the point is what right do they have to withhold the money without a SAR as that is what they do.
    Exactly. ;) 

Thats what I'm arguing (and winning) over. They MUST issue a SAR (which blocks access to funds) *or* use their terms but allow me access to my funds.
    Didn't pick up on this when posted earlier - which specific legislation or FCA regulation mandates that without a SAR they have to allow immediate access to funds when closing/suspending/restricting accounts?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure