We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Back account closed no reason

Options

Comments

• jayking
    jayking Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 December 2020 at 12:21PM
    Options
    TimSynths said:
    So if a new account has been closed normally it will be either the source of the opening funds or a recent transfer in/out or an issue with the ID used and information supplied/discovered at the opening process. Banks don't just close accounts for no reason. If the money has come from an inheritance then potentially the bank may want to see evidence of this from the estate lawyer but its all speculation at this point regarding your "friend".
    Great, thanks for the detail!

Amazing that this site exists and there are kind people out there!

Merry Christmas 🌲☃️🌲
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jayking said:
    Account  was closed not suspended.
    No questions asked, no questions allowed. 
    Money is frozen and they require lawyer to release it.
    Was a new account so not much chance for any misuse, let alone any intent.
    If they require lawyer to release it, there must be at least an implied question to the lawyer (such as 'certify the source of the funds'), or what is the point of the lawyer.

Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the OP in the USA?
    The use of the word lawyer rather than in the UK where we would use solicitor suggests they maybe.
  • jayking
    Options
    Uxb1 said:
    Is the OP in the USA?
    Nope
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What has the lawyer been asked to write?  From that it might be possible to work out what the bank have issues with.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • jayking
    Options
    Thanks, will update as and when there's more info.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Did your ''friend'' attempt to withdraw a very large amount in cash to pay for a house?
  • funkycredit
    Options
    Love some of the nonsense answers on here. Clearly clueless quoting terms which do not apply. 

I've had my NatWest accounts closed. No warning. Nothing. The reason? I opened too many accounts. 

There's nothing in their terms for this. There was no SAR submitted to the NCO and they're in direct breach of their own terms. 

I HAVE taken legal action and not only am I looking a serious compensation, but I'm suing for damages based on the whole fiasco as well as forcing them to show the security procedure in detail. Refer to Lonsdale v NatWest for case law. Plus I'm getting 8% interest of course. 

So yes the best advice would be to speak to a solicitor. Also find the Facebook page called "NatWest closed my account" and you'll find thousands more in the same position. 

The bank has a lot to answer for. Unfortunately for them I've very deep pockets and no matter how much they try to bail, I'll see them in court. 
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also find the Facebook page called "NatWest closed my account" and you'll find thousands more in the same position. 

Money mules unfortunately abound..........
  • funkycredit
    Options
    Also find the Facebook page called "NatWest closed my account" and you'll find thousands more in the same position. 

Money mules unfortunately abound..........
    Indeed there are - however I'm not one and no SAR was submitted to NCO. 

But anyway, if you're innocent then seek legal advice and take them to task. Best way. Vile behaviour by the bank. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure