Paying in full, wait for the bill or pay off as and when?

in Credit Cards
33 replies 1.8K views
Sbbc138Sbbc138 Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I have a credit card that I use regularly for online shopping, a bill in a restaurant (when they're open!) and just general spending. 

I always pay it off in full every month, obviously, but as my credit card is with my bank I can easily transfer payments to it from my mobile banking app and clear the balance regularly. 

My question is: should I wait for the bill and make one monthly payment to clear the balance, or is there any harm in settling small balances (£20/30 etc..) on a regular basis? 

Thank you. 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait for the statement, them clear in full.
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Set up a DD and use that!
  • Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Providing you do always pay it off in full when the statement arrives, it's best to wait for the statement then pay in full.  There's no harm as such in making interim payments - but you do then lose out on the benefit of building up a favourable credit history, as the card will be reported on your files as not being used.  You may as well use the card regularly, pay in full when the statement arrives, and benefit from the boost it'll give to your credit history (history - not score, which is utterly meaningless).
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    but you do then lose out on the benefit of building up a favourable credit history, as the card will be reported on your files as not being used.
    Hardly. As the monthly payment amounts are reported by lenders to credit reference agencies, if a lender sees that someone has credit card statement balances of zero yet is still making monthly repayments, it's crystal clear what's happening.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CCs work on statement periods so don't pay off as you spend, you can quickly get in a real mess, especially at the point in the month when expenditure and payments are across a statement period.

You end up with rolling credits and debits and can lose a grip of the actual balance.
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chino said:
    but you do then lose out on the benefit of building up a favourable credit history, as the card will be reported on your files as not being used.
    Hardly. As the monthly payment amounts are reported by lenders to credit reference agencies, if a lender sees that someone has credit card statement balances of zero yet is still making monthly repayments, it's crystal clear what's happening.
    Rubbish, credit card companies don't report the amount you are paying, they simply report the card was paid off in full, minimum or sometimes as a special rate for BT cards. All 3 of my credit reports over 4 cards show that, they do not show the amount. If OP pays the balance before statement is generated, the card will report to the CRA that there was no balance at month end

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• Paul_01Paul_01 Forumite
    392 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Mine shows how much I have paid each month for all my cards. 
  • dr_adidas01dr_adidas01 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Farfetch said:
    Chino said:
    Rubbish, credit card companies don't report the amount you are paying, they simply report the card was paid off in full, minimum or sometimes as a special rate for BT cards. All 3 of my credit reports over 4 cards show that, they do not show the amount. If OP pays the balance before statement is generated, the card will report to the CRA that there was no balance at month end

I think you might be wrong there as quite a few of mine report the amount I've paid each month.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the points of a "Credit Card" is that you get X number of days "Interest Free Credit" to pay back what you have spent, within the statement period (so long as you pay in full each month).
    So why pay sooner than you should?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the points of a "Credit Card" is that you get X number of days "Interest Free Credit" to pay back what you have spent, within the statement period (so long as you pay in full each month).
    So why pay sooner than you should?
    Exactly.  The only reason I can think of for making interim payments ahead of the monthly statement is if you're not good at budgeting.  Otherwise, a direct debit to pay the full amount every month is surely the best use of the card but also the most convenient.