Thought I'd cancelled contract - I haven't!

Options
Hi all
After a quick bit of help. Switched daughter onto a new contract earlier in the year and thought I'd cancelled old one with Vodafone. On reviewing general finances, turns out the I haven't (sloppy I know). I will now cancel of course, but wondered if there was any possibility of a refund, as the account has been sat dormant now for months. Equally, are Vodafone under any obligation to flag an unused account?
I think I know the answer to both, but worth a go :)
Thanks

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,290 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I suppose you could ask V politely but like you I think we can guess the answer
    As to flagging unused phone account, no reason for them to do so, must be hundreds if not thousands of unused emergency only accounts
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 December 2020 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Likewise with unused like my phone line and mobile .
  • A_Lert
    A_Lert Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you know if you took any actions towards cancelling? For example a telephone call or a website click, something that you were expecting to cancel the contract but it didn't? If so, you might have grounds for a refund.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you had kept the same phone number when setting up the new contract you wouldn't be having this issue. That's the ideal way of ensuring the old contract is cancelled. 
  • Although too late now, in Future apply PAC code to transfer your number to a new provider.

This page provides information on changing phone providers and porting your number!
    How to switch mobile phone provider (uswitch.com)
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neil49 said:
    If you had kept the same phone number when setting up the new contract you wouldn't be having this issue. That's the ideal way of ensuring the old contract is cancelled. 
    Alternatively, send the text message 'STAC' to the old provider.
  • Bizzywizard
    Bizzywizard Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I saw Martins MSE on TV last night about mobiles.

My daughters phone is on EE I pay around £13 a month. But see I could switch to vodaphone for about £4.
    I'm just unsure how to do it.

Do I sign up for a new contract ie £4 a month first, then do the PAC to switch number 2nd and them inform EE we are off? And when do I do it the direct debit goes out around the 19th of each month.

My husband was being an !!!!!! about t last night, so I thought I'd ask the forum for help.

Hubby pays £40 for an i phone thats out of contract....but has no intention of switching gggrrrrrrr!!!!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,290 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

I saw Martins MSE on TV last night about mobiles.

My daughters phone is on EE I pay around £13 a month. But see I could switch to vodaphone for about £4.
    I'm just unsure how to do it.

Do I sign up for a new contract ie £4 a month first, then do the PAC to switch number 2nd and them inform EE we are off? And when do I do it the direct debit goes out around the 19th of each month.

My husband was being an !!!!!! about t last night, so I thought I'd ask the forum for help.

Hubby pays £40 for an i phone thats out of contract....but has no intention of switching gggrrrrrrr!!!!

First get your PAC from EE, it remains valid for 30 days, if you don't use it nothing is lost or gained
    You may find just asking for PAC triggers offer from EE

If not then sgn up with new supplier, in your case Voda, give them the PAC, they will do the rest, which includes cancelling EE.

Trying to juggle dates can be a nightmare and TBH probaly not worth trying to time them.
    I'd leave DD running until all settled, just in case of a mis fire.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, leave your direct debit in place.

I switched from Three to O2 a couple of months ago and got a refund from Three for unused days a few weeks later. 
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    Farway said:
    If not then sgn up with new supplier, in your case Voda, give them the PAC, they will do the rest, which includes cancelling EE.

Safer to get the new Vodafone SIM and check all works, signal is good etc (on what will be a temporary number), and then provide the EE PAC to Vodafone.
    You can still get the EE PAC in advance.

Otherwise if something bad happens, you could end up with neither working.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback