Help me change my Euros

Hi, Can anybody help? I've recently sold my villa abroad in Turkey. The complete deal is done in cash. I paid most of it in to my Euro account in Turkey to transfer it to the Uk, but kept 10,000 Euros and brought it back with me thinking I could save the cost of transfers. I have a euros currency account with HSBC, however, they won't let me pay cash in to the account. So how do I manage to convert it to £'s and pay it in?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you got proof of the cash withdrawal in Turkey? If so, you can probably use a Western Union agent to send the money to your HSBC Euro account. If not, you are going to struggle to pay it in anywhere in the UK due to money laundering/proceeds of crime concerns. You'll need to take holidays in Euro and spend it there until it is all gone. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,559 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Assuming that you hold proof of the source of your funds you can convert the cash euros to GBP at an exchange bureau. The pound is currently quite cheap which is in your favour, otherwise you can just hang on to some or all of the euros for the time being. For current best rates for cash see:

https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ (switch to 'Buyback')
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Hi, thanks for the advice, I have proof, however, Western Union will not accept any form of cash except GBP when paying over the counter in the UK. (Just the same as the banks). So the only way to use this service would be to travel to Europe and pay in over the counter there. That would be fraught with language barriers and getting them to understand the documents proving where the money came from, apart from being an expensive option. So, it looks like I will have to wait until I go on holiday to Turkey, where I can pay it into my Euro account in the Turkish bank and then send it to my UK account. All a bit expensive and could be months before we are able to travel!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    When I last went to London (several years ago) there were several 'cash exchange' shops around.
    Not sure if they are still happening (probably not in these current times)?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback