IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

bwlegal - Limitation Act 1980 Query

Options
Hello All,
Thank you for all the assistance provided on the Newbie FAQ's, it has been extremely helpful!
My partner received a Letter of Claim today from bwlegal. She had previously been using the militant approach to ignore and hope everything goes away, however in this instance I decided to take a look, as the letter appeared more than just the usual threats and it is indeed one that finally requires a response.
I was just about to about to press ahead with an SOR to Premier Parking Solutions when I noticed the dates involved. The Date of Contravention was the 22nd of November 2014, with the letter being sent dated the 11th of December 2020. I'm no expert, however to me that appears to contravene the Limitation Act 1980, in particular the following from section 5:
 Time limit for actions founded on simple contract.

An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.

Am I right in thinking that I am best to reply to BW, informing them that the alleged 'debt' is over six years old and therefore barred?

I apologise in advance if I missed this in the FAQ's, any help provided would be very much appreciated. Happy to provide more detail if required.

Thanks

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 December 2020 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that I am best to reply to BW, informing them that the alleged 'debt' is over six years old and therefore barred?
    Yep.  Tell them to cease and desist contacting you and not to reply telling you that despite the limitation period having expired their client is entitled to write anyway* because this is harassing and wasting your waste their time.  Any further contact will be harassment, which is actionable, so they must stop.

*BWLegal may try that reply - yawn...!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ParkingMadd
    Options
    Thank you all so much, it's helped defuse a distressing situation when she opened the letter this morning. To be honest she didn't feel up to fighting through and may well have caved had I not come across your FAQ's.

For peace of mind I'll get her to reply to BWL, informing them to cease and desist with their proceedings to try and head them off. If their response is of any interest I'll post it back here.
    Thanks again!!!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Premier Parking Solutions chasing an out of time 2014 ticket ... this must show the desperation to get money
    The sad thing is, plenty of people will pay. 

YES, I would suggest the OP complains to the SRA and requests an investigation as to how many times BWLegal are doing this. The time has to come when the SRA understands about bad apples
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you show us a photo of the letter?  Wondering if it threatens legal action.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

For peace of mind I'll get her to reply to BWL, informing them to cease and desist with their proceedings to try and head them off. If their response is of any interest I'll post it back here.
    Thanks again!!!
    It's not a case of heading them off ...... it's more of a case of warning them ..... not to be so stupid and don't do it again
  • they can send letters for ever and ever , nothing to stop them , as there is an aledged debt 
    they can instigate a court case after 6 yrs , the judge may ask why? , all they have to do is answer correctly and case will commence , not all judges are clued up 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback