Paying off balance

Options
 I recently upgraded my phone through Apple and purchased on my credit card ,
Payment is due on 28th dec
as Usual I will pay it off in full , but as I traded in my old phone Apple have just refunded the trade in cost back to my credit card ...
so here is my worry 
if I pay the balance I will be £280 in credit 
if I pay it off minus the £280 will I incur interest charges , seeing as how I personally didn’t pay the entire balance ,
I did ring Nationwide and ask this question 
he said pay it minus the £280 and I wouldn’t incur interest , but he didn’t sound as he was 100% sure , 
I know the call was recorded so I could refer back to that if I didn’t pay it all and incur the interest , 
Anyone any idea ?

Comments

• SuperAllyB
    Options
    He's right. The only time there is a possible issue with some providers is if the remaining balance is less than the minimum payment. At this time of year, and with a new iPhone on the bill, that's somewhat unlikely lol.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    So you bought a phone - let's say the phone was £1000 pounds. That hits your bill. You're owing £1000. Statement comes says you owe £1000. Then between the statement date and the due date - Apple credits £280 for your old phone. You now owe £720, as £280 has been deducted from your outstanding balance. You now pay the £720. Your balance is now £0.  
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    The only wrinkle here is is the payment in full is via direct debit, some providers will still take the original statement amount regardless of any intervening refunds or payments. Happened to me with a Sainburys CC and ended up with a £1400 credit balance I didn't want.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not just pay the full statement balance, then you'll have no worries that you'll be hit with interest charges.  When the refund hits your account, you'll be in credit.  You can request the credit to be returned to your account, or if you use the card regularly anyway, just let it get used up in your regular spending.  Seems to be the simplest way, and would ensure you're not hit with any interest charges for not paying off the full balance, however the card provider chooses to interpret it.
  • markyb12
    Options
    Thanks for the replies 
    seems two of you say pay off in full and claim money back , and 2 say pay off the balance minus the £280 which as gone back on a few days ago
    payment due by the 28th

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,902 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you overpay, you can request a refund from your card provider.
    A payment to your account is classed as a credit, no matter who makes it.
    A zero balance is a zero balance in anyone`s language.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback