Money Moral Dilemma: Should I insist my friend pay for the ornaments she broke?

Options

Comments

• meknowalot-51
    meknowalot-51 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 December 2020 at 11:49AM
    Options
    Friend................................................this word is used when clearly it shouldn't be.A friend would immediately apologise and offer to replace or pay,as it was purchased on holiday a more realistic solution would be to pay.Does this person even care about you or is it the type that's jealous in some way?You do realize,that what this person did could be a totally deliberate act and there making a fool of you?
  • Murphy14
    Options
    I agree, friends are more important than material things. You may need her friendship more than ever one day, if you have any health issues or important things that you need a shoulder to cry on. 
  • hairypitz
    Options
    Do you miss the ornaments that much? Would you miss your friend if they were no longer a friend? 
    I've had both sides of things. Lent a family member £1000 to stop them from having their house repossessed. Never got paid back, they're in a much better financial position now but they've never even offered. I let it go because they're family and I value them more than the money. A friend I couldn't rely on who made demands on me I  didn't want to give in to is no longer a friend. I'm happy with both decisions.
    Just think of how much you value your friend and if you feel they value you too before deciding what to do. 
    Don't bother asking for money for the ornament though, just claim it on your insurance if you need to.
  • cyber_lady1
    Options
    Life is too short and personally I would leave it and let it go, it was an accident and there needs to be more kindness and forgiveness in this world, move on and you never know you could be given a lovely gift for Christmas!! 
  • Wild1
    Options
    Of course not - she is a friend and it was an accident! 
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were both items specifically listed individually on your home insurance schedule? If so, you should be able to recover some of the lost value that way, and maybe recover the balance from your thoughtless and careless friend. Tell her what you're doing to ease matters, and trust to her conscience that she will cough up the shortfall. If she doesn't, make sure you're not at home the next time she visits.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why on earth were the cards displayed on the same shelf as delicate ornaments in the first place? That's an accident waiting to happen.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • tenuissent
    Options
    This happened to me, and my friend immediately offered to pay to get them repaired or replaced, as most of us would. In fact they were much treasured jugs, mementoes of various holidays, some hand made by potters I had met, but basically without financial value. So I thanked her, but refused the offer and made light of the incident. Surely there is no other way to deal with such things?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2020 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Everyone banging about content insurance- only applies if you have accident cover.

Friendship wise, a lot depends on both reactions and what was said when it happened.  

They said nothing/brushed it off - they obviously don't value friendship.

Tney were apologetic etc and you said don't worry about it - that ship has sailed.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why were they even in your house? Count yourself lucky they didn't give you covid and follow the rules in future
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback