Vodafone woes and alternatives?

Options
vigman
vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi
I am having a terrible experience with Vodafone customer support compounded by different answers from different advisers, ending with my long term PM account being disconnected and reconnected with an accompanying £10-41p charge! I was making a general query when they saw they had the account end date as 3052!! Following that correction, all Hell let loose followed by the extra charge plus over an hour on chat plus time exchanging tweets then a phone call to complaints (apparently crediting me back £11....but this doesn't show up.).....and breathe........

Anyway, I have to have a Vodafone signal as the two places I use the phone can only support that signal.
I see that VOXI, Talkmobile and Lebara Mobile piggyback off Vodafone. What is their support like please, and is it easy to transfer two numbers to Pay Monthy sim only accounts to any of these three?
TIA
Vigman

Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vigman said:

Anyway, I have to have a Vodafone signal as the two places I use the phone can only support that signal.
    I see that VOXI, Talkmobile and Lebara Mobile piggyback off Vodafone.

The sure signal will not work with them. It can only be registered on a vodafone account and if you close your it will stop working. (I have one purely for work phone and and phone or sim change and you have to get them to reset it which is a pain finding someone who can becuase they decided not to put a user interface on the device). They do not even sell thewse anymore. Will wifi calling not suit your needs, since the sure signal needs internet I would not see why not. (And they will eventually completely stop SS support since they no longer sell them).

As for networks, they are all as bad as each other when there is a problem. The smaller companies probably even worse (but not as many customers so not as much moaning online).

FWIW I(we) have 3 phones on voda. On a recent upgrade they tryed to ship to my 5 year old address, despite 2 upgrades having come here fine. Could not change order so I had to redirect to a pick up point in the end. Though as I said this would be the same issue with all companies as it is a modern outsourced IT issue, and they all do it.).
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 December 2020 at 11:32PM
    Options
    Carrot007 said:
    vigman said:

The sure signal will not work with them. It can only be registered on a vodafone account and if you close your it will stop working. (I have one purely for work phone and and phone or sim change and you have to get them to reset it which is a pain finding someone who can becuase they decided not to put a user interface on the device). They do not even sell thewse anymore. Will wifi calling not suit your needs, since the sure signal needs internet I would not see why not. (And they will eventually completely stop SS support since they no longer sell them).

I'm not reading that the OP has a Voda sure signal device? 
    Anyway, FWIW, I've moved 2 numbers recently to Lebara without a hitch, but not had to contact support. Majority of the reviews are favourable though if you do
    Both my youngsters love Voxi as it gives all thir social media without using their data allowance, if that matters to you. Voxi is a sub brand of vodafone so their service may be the same! My SD did contact them once and got sorted straight away though
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    flashg67 said:
    Carrot007 said:
    vigman said:

I'm not reading that the OP has a Voda sure signal device? 
    Anyway, FWIW, I've moved 2 numbers recently to Lebara without a hitch, but not had to contact support. Majority of the reviews are favourable though if you do

Hmm, re-reading you may be right. Though my comments about them all being just as bad and the smaller ones (like those mentioned) being worse IF a problems occurs stands.
  • chistery
    chistery Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Try making a few calls without VoLTE and see if it works ok before you change providers.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chistery said:
    Try making a few calls without VoLTE and see if it works ok before you change providers.

Hi, no chance of 4G in either area...or even 3G! Just looked at the signal guide website and BOTH have just a "poor" chance of voice or data inside!

My main reason for changing would to be getting away from the abysmal Vodafone support. Going round in circles with the Twitter support team. Having agreed the £10.41 shouldn't have been charged and I had an £11 credit (not £18 as advised on the phone), I have just had a further tweet from another operative saying "We can confirm you have a £10.41 charge added to your account"! Absolutely useless, and this charge was only added for disconnection and re-connection as they had to amend an incorrect end date on my account which they had set at the year 3052!!

I had also had a text before this complaint saying I was moved on to a new account allowance on both phones going from 500mb to 1gb data and unlimited phone calls. This has never been applied. In a Twitter conversation I was asked if I realised I could get this allowance. I answered "Yes. On November 11th you said both accounts would automatically switch to this........but of course they haven't.

AND..........even with the latest WAP settings, on any iphone I've owned, (now an iPhone 7) my Vodafone mobile data has only partially worked even with full signal and 4G. If I try Safari, Twitter of eBay it says "not connected to internet". Loads of complaints about this in the Vodafone forum and not many work arounds. I do delete all old profiles first before re-installing the new one.

AND.....even with the latest MMS settings, I can't ever receive a photo with a text. Instead I get a link to a website and a password to access that photo, Again loads of complaints about this on their forum and I just ask people to use WhatsApp!
    However, if the three piggyback carriers use the same support team, I'm basically stuffed!
    Thanks for the replies
    Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback