Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Promotion - still no pay rise or contract

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Promotion - still no pay rise or contract

13 replies 434 views
I was promoted to a senior role of store manager in early October due to my manager leaving the business and have been running the store ever since. This move although slightly more senior comes with huge jump in responsibility and workload. 

I was verbally promised a pay rise and contract to go along with this role as expected. The management above me have now said they are not able to offer me a pay rise at the moment and I have also had no change of contract.

I have been successful so far in a what I realise is a difficult time for all - however have already spent two months working hard to run our store and taking the added stress and workload for no reward.

I have employed new staff under me who are now technically on a higher hourly rate than me due to not receiving my promotion and pay rise!

I have given so much to the company over the last 4 years and am not willing to be used and carry the stress and workload for free whilst my staff beneath me earn slightly more than me hourly.

I feel used, and have made it clear to those above - in a professional manor that I need this to change.

Any advice - as I am well in my right to step back from extra duties and work to my previous contract until my promised pay rise and promotion is official? 

I’m more than happy to be committed but there comes a point where it’s taking the biscuit right?

Replies

• TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many companies are feeling extreme financial pressure at the moment so you need to consider the long game. 
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've essentially got 3 choices here:

1) Refuse to do the new job any longer and go back to your previous role. The issue with this is you'll never be considered for a promotion again and will likely be on the 'lose' list come redundancy time so you'll likely need to find another job in the not too distant future, particularly if you want to improve your career in the future.

2) Carry on doing the new role and come to a compromise with your employers with the respect they're probably struggling at the moment. Maybe something along the lines that a pay rise of X amount will happen in X months or you review the position in a few months from both positions and decide if it's working for both of you and negotiate the contract then.

3) Find another job.

Only you can really decide what the best option is.
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they don't pay, don't stay.

But in the first place, Don't Volunteer!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • 74jax74jax Forumite
    6.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ColeyBuck said:
    I was promoted to a senior role of store manager in early October due to my manager leaving the business and have been running the store ever since. This move although slightly more senior comes with huge jump in responsibility and workload. 

I was verbally promised a pay rise and contract to go along with this role as expected. The management above me have now said they are not able to offer me a pay rise at the moment and I have also had no change of contract.

When you were promoted, was it via applying for the position or were you told you were doing the job?
    When you were not paid the increase in October, what did they say the reason was?  If it was in October that they said they didn't have the money, I'm guessing that by working November knowing they didn't have the money it can be classed as you accepted these terms?
    I am presuming you've had a meeting which was when you were told there's no money, how did this meeting end?  Did they say they'd get a new contracts to you or anything?  Did this meeting at least get recorded somehow?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ColeyBuck said:

I have been successful so far in a what I realise is a difficult time for all - however have already spent two months working hard to run our store and taking the added stress and workload for no reward.

I have employed new staff under me who are now technically on a higher hourly rate than me due to not receiving my promotion and pay rise!

I have given so much to the company over the last 4 years and am not willing to be used and carry the stress and workload for free whilst my staff beneath me earn slightly more than me hourly.

I feel used, and have made it clear to those above - in a professional manor that I need this to change.

Any advice - as I am well in my right to step back from extra duties and work to my previous contract until my promised pay rise and promotion is official? 

I’m more than happy to be committed but there comes a point where it’s taking the biscuit right?
    I have highlighted three points in your post.

In that order.....

1. Verbal agreements, although technically just as binding as written ones, can be hard to prove. Is the person who verbally promised this likely to back you up? Otherwise there is no automatic legal right to a pay rise and not all "promotions" carry one.

2. Similarly, whilst it may not be common, it is perfectly possible to have staff that earn more than their boss. 

3. Probably not. If you think you can prove what was agreed you may well have a right to sue for the promised extra money, although I wouldn't rush to do that if you intend to continue working there!

• General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    74jax said:
    ColeyBuck said:

When you were promoted, was it via applying for the position or were you told you were doing the job?
    When you were not paid the increase in October, what did they say the reason was?  If it was in October that they said they didn't have the money, I'm guessing that by working November knowing they didn't have the money it can be classed as you accepted these terms?
    I am presuming you've had a meeting which was when you were told there's no money, how did this meeting end?  Did they say they'd get a new contracts to you or anything?  Did this meeting at least get recorded somehow?
    Where did the OP say they had been told the employer "didn't have the money"?   A presumption?
  • edited 3 December 2020 at 2:46PM
    UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 December 2020 at 2:46PM
    74jax said:
    ColeyBuck said:

Where did the OP say they had been told the employer "didn't have the money"?   A presumption?
    Fourth line of the OP more or less says it.......

The management above me have now said they are not able to offer me a pay rise at the moment

• DiamandisDiamandis Forumite
    582 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Did they tell you what the pay was? If you're not willing to keep doing the role without a pay rise then you could make it clear that you're only willing to continue doing the role until a certain date before you will step down. 
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    74jax said:
    ColeyBuck said:

The management above me have now said they are not able to offer me a pay rise at the moment

So it was a presumption.
    If they could pay junior staff more than the OP, perhaps they were just choosing not to pay the OP more because they could get away with it.
  • 74jax74jax Forumite
    6.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    74jax said:
    ColeyBuck said:

So it was a presumption.
    If they could pay junior staff more than the OP, perhaps they were just choosing not to pay the OP more because they could get away with it.
    It's all presumption, because we weren't there and the op hadn't clarified. I even say 
    I am presuming you've had a meeting which was when you were told there's no money, how did this meeting end?  Did they say they'd get a new contracts to you or anything

So no ones know really as we only have a little to go off. 

Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....