DRP ‘fine’ for vehicle I have no connection with

Hi all,
While I appreciate the letters DRP are going to put me in front of a firing squad, I have a peculiar situation and I can not find a relevant post on the forum.

On the 28th November I received a ‘fine’ from Debt Recovery Plus on behalf of UKPC for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a valid permit. This occurred on the 9th March 2018.
My name (shorted version of) and my address are on the letter.
The VRN on the letter is one that I have never owned, driven, leased, hired or even seen in my life. I am not talking about a digit wrong; the entire number plate is so far removed from any car I have ever owned.

I did not park in that car park on the day stated, neither have I ever parked in a disabled bay. 

At this point, am I concerned how I have been involved with a car of which details have no connection to me.
I am aware of other people in my largish town with the same forename and surname; is this a case of DRP using the electoral register to find an owner?

From the stickies and previous posts I will not be contacting DRP, but is there any action I should take at this point to remove myself from this? 

My main concern is I had some financial issues 13 years ago and it has taken a decade to clear it all up. Although I appreciate DRP can not do anything, I don’t want this to negatively affect me later such as CCJ’s that I then need to contest.

Replies

• edited 30 November 2020 at 2:06PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2020 at 2:06PM
    The only way they can link you to the car is if
    a) your details are held by DVLA in respect of that vehicle or
    b) the RK of that vehicle has given your details as driver at the time.
    There is not a lot you can do without contacting DRP.  If you are absolutely certain you have had no relationship with that vehicle - have you checked the registration against type and colour of vehicle to maybe jog your memory ? - then maybe drop them a letter, unsigned, stating you have not and have never had any responsibility for that vehicle as either keeper or driver and unless they can prove otherwise go away and any further contact will be deemed harassment and action taken accordingly.

• Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    16K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say it was likely a misread but if the letter has been addressed to you by name and address that is unlikely.  What might have happened is that someone who owns that car has (to which you have alluded) a similar name to you; they parked and didn't pay and received a PCN.  This also went unpaid and the parking company have set DRP (Debt Recovery Plus) onto the case.  They have either done it themselves or used a tracing company to find the person with that car but instead found you.  It seems a clear error.  We don't normally suggest getting in touch with debt collectors but in this case I suggest (see what other regulars think) writing a letter (everything in writing no phone calls) to them and explaining that you have nothing to do with a vehicle of that VRM and they must erase your data and only contact you once more to confirm that has been done.
  • Law0101Law0101 Forumite
    6 Posts
    First Post
    Thank you molerat.
    I can confirm that the car in question has no relevance to me whatsoever. I did a vehicle check on the VRN and it is 100% a car neither I, my family or friends have owned. Further, I have only been at this address since 2019 (previous address owned by relative still so any mail would be given to me)
    On top of that, I have not owned a private vehicle since June 2017 as a work vehicle has been assigned to me ( also no connection).

• edited 30 November 2020 at 2:17PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2020 at 2:17PM
    I suggest you contact the DVLA and ask them to confirm that you have never been the registered keeper of a vehicle with VRM XXXXXXXX.

If/when you have that, contact UKPC and tell them, including proof, and instruct them to erase your personal data.
    In addition, complain to the BPA, the DVLA, the landowner, and your MP.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Le-Kirk says above ...... We don't normally suggest getting in touch with debt collectors but in this case I suggest (see what other regulars think) writing a letter

DRP are harmless little critters who pop out of the sewers, nowt they can do but waste their time

6 Posts
    First Post
    Thank you all for your replies. It’s is such an odd situation and receiving this and not knowing where to go certainly jarred me a little.
  • edited 30 November 2020 at 2:41PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2020 at 2:41PM
    We see a few of these very now and then. Sometimes it is caused by an ANPR misread, sometimes by the scamtendant writing the VRM down wrong, or someone typing a character wrong somewhere down the line.

Your biggest problem will be convincing the scammers that they are wrong, which is why you need the DVLA to prove a negative. 

As far as contacting DRP and UKPC, send a data correction notice to their respective DPOs requiring them to erase your data, and instruct them to cancel the PCN and stop pursuing you.
    Complain to the ICO if they refuse.
    You should also complain to the ICO that both the scammers and DRP have unlawfully obtained and processed your personal data which is a data protection breach of the GDPR.

Come back to this thread if this isn't resolved. 
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • BrownTroutBrownTrout Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    DRP use Experian and a mis trace is common
  • D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A similar sort of thing happened to me once.  Natwest thought that I was someone else.  Cost them £150 in compo.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    6 Posts
    First Post
    As per the advice given here, I have requested by mail proof of non-ownership of the vehicle in question from the DVLA ( unfortunately this is not possible to do by email).
    Again, thank you all for your comments.