Metered estate

I live on a metered estate and our LPG gas is supplied by Flogas, we are on an uncontracted rate of 64p a cubic litre - which I’m quite confident is very high. There are 10 other apartments where I live. Am I right in thinking that I can’t change provider and don’t really have a leg to stand on in terms of how much they are charging us? I live in a two bedroomed flat and our gas bill is £90 a month??

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2020 at 8:23PM
    I'm a bit confused about the units.  Do you mean 64p/cubic metre or per litre? 1 cubic metre of gaseous LPG =  3.7 litres of liquid LPG.
    Yes, 64ppl is extortionate. (I pay 33ppl).  Do you have a estate management company or residents association?  If so, they are the people to negotiate with Flogas.  There will probably be a two year contract in place with them, but this can be renegotiated at the appropriate time.  The whole estate will have to agree to change supplier at the same time. 
  • Yes it is 64p per cubic litre, ppl. We’re going for a meeting with the estate office this week to discuss it, but we’re expecting to be told there is nothing they can do about it unless we get all of the other residents on our side. The annoying thing is is that we are ‘uncontracted’ in our apartment - so we have never signed a contract with Flogas but have no option other than pay what they charge us. 
  • Mister_G
    Yes, your scenario is quite common on metered estates with a bulk tank.  You may have to speak to the other 9 flats in order to get them to agree to lobby your estate management office to shop around at the end of the 2 year contract.

We have a estate of 20 houses on a new build in our village who were originally put with Calor by the builder.  They set themselves up as a residents association and negotiated a much better price at the end of the 2 year contract.

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world (minefield) of LPG!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    robamy said:
    Yes it is 64p per cubic litre
    Pedant's Corner: No such thing as a cubic litre
    A cubic wotsit always has a linear measure as the wotsit, hence cubic feet, cubic metres etc.  A litre is already a volume, so a cubic litre is an oxymoron.
    Your 64p figure is either per litre or per cubic metre.
  • Mister_G
    64p per cubic metre is super cheap (17ppl)!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback