We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Gardening Tools

My wife likes gardening, in particular, growing veg. She has a habit though, of not putting her tools away, but we have always bought cheap, and when they've rusted, or handles broken, bought new ones. I don't mean spades, and large forks, I mean the small hand tools. What I want to get her, is a good set of tools, preferably, with a tool box, or bag, to encourage her to put them away. My question is, how do I know a good brand, when I'm buying online? We've had tools before, where you can bend the trowel with your hand, and others which have been very solid. There are loads on Amazon, at the moment, but I would like some recommendations, if anyone has any. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Anything not made in China
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Good brand on line, go by the well known name, and try stainless steel so when it finishes up in the compost heap as most hand tools it will not rot away :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Burgon & Ball's japanese razor hoe is very good, which is perhaps an indication their other stuff is worth looking at.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Consider a Wolf system, they're the most versatile, but not the cheapest.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My parents have been using the same Wilkinson Sword spade and fork for 30 years. They're built to last, it seems!
    Also Fiskars tools are good.
  • Ian1961
    Ian1961 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Will agree with the comments above, buy the best you can afford. If you have an inclination buy some fine emery cloth and some WD40 and clean the tools every couple of months for her to get some brownie points!
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 27 November 2020 at 10:21PM
    I painted an old, wooden storage box for hand tools. It's kept right by the door.
    Easy to drop them in if you aren't keen on putting them away. Close the lid and it's tidy.
    I do have a polythene pot (ex food storage) inside it for smaller tools so they don't get lost

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it wasn't for a present, I'd say have a look round the second-hand shops and pick up some really well-made tools that have already served a gardener for many years.  If you rub down the wooden handles and paint them a bright colour, they will be easy to spot when they're left on the ground.
  • Hi Robm.  Your wife sounds like a keen gardener, especially growing veggies.  How about buying her a handmade or woven trug to display the new hand tools in. She might be tempted to neatly put her tools away in the trug once she's done 🐈
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Like that idea BlackCat. I love my trug and old basket. It's useful for taking the smaller tools outside as well as the nostalgic feel. Or to fill with veg.
    I've got to say that while I bought a good spade and border fork (make sure they're light unless the missus is tough) I found that Woolworths/cheapie secautares were as good as the good ones and other such shop tools can be very good now. And I like the new rubberised handles. I don't get blisters on my 'ladylike' hands.
    And I may be a tomboy but alongside my tools and heavy duty gloves I do like my pink ones. They're also easy to find at the end of the day.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport