Are refunds for overcharges time barred?

I have recently found out that I could have been on a lower tariff from thames water ( single occupant) as no meter.
the tariff will be much cheaper monthly. TW says I am entitled to a refund. Is there a time bar? Or can this be for all the years I have been with them on the incorrect tariff? Thanks


  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.
    The only way you can get a single occupant tariff is with an assessed charge. To get this assessed charge you must apply for a meter and TW cannot fit a meter; this often is the case in flats.
    There is no provision for a refund or backdating in the regulations other than backdating to the date of your application for a water meter.

    'Notice to pay the assessed household charge (7) (a) This sub-clause applies where Thames Water has advised the consumer by letter that they have not fitted a meter because it is not reasonably practicable to do so, or because it would involve unreasonable expense.'

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards