Employers discount

Hi I was trying hard to find some answers or anything similar but I failed so I hope it’s ok to open new thread. My Virgin Media contract is coming to an end and I was paying £55 for basic phone maxit tv and 100mb broadband and when I phoned to ask for renewal price it was much more expensive which is a joke considering new customers getting this half price which is not the point here. What I’m trying to find out is has anyone used perks at work or similar discount sites from their employer to get a discount and if it worked for them? Thank you in advance 

Replies

• edited 25 November 2020 at 9:26AM
    Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2020 at 9:26AM
    qucharski said:
    Hi I was trying hard to find some answers or anything similar but I failed so I hope it’s ok to open new thread. My Virgin Media contract is coming to an end and I was paying £55 for basic phone maxit tv and 100mb broadband and when I phoned to ask for renewal price it was much more expensive which is a joke considering new customers getting this half price which is not the point here. What I’m trying to find out is has anyone used perks at work or similar discount sites from their employer to get a discount and if it worked for them? Thank you in advance 

If there are any discounts from the employer for this (doubtful, as they tend to be towards physical items like bikes and computers), you would need to find out from your employer as this sort of thing depends on what agreements they have with whoever provides the incentives.

Otherwise, you need to look around the market and see what you can get elsewhere as a new customer, go back to Virgin with them, and be prepared to get off your backside and move providers rather than sitting on a web forum complaining about the deal you were offered.  If you don't watch half the TV channels you have now, its pointless paying for them, if you don't need 100mb broadband and can get away with 76 or even 38 its pointless paying for 100, and if you don't use the phone its pointless paying for a call package.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you not asked your own employer if he offers a discount for VM - it would be interesting to find out what he says. 

TBH I doubt that VM really care whether you stay or go, so if you are not satisfied with VM for what ever reason you can take control and tell them that you are leaving.  If they really want your business they may make an offer but if they don't there are lots of other broadband/phone suppliers out there who would be happy to take you on. It just needs you to get on either the phone or t'interweb and sign up with one.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • edited 25 November 2020 at 11:39AM
    FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2020 at 11:39AM
    All the above, but remember before you make a move you are locked with Virgin because there is no one else to take over their cable, and you may loose your phone number

You will have to go with someone who in turn is reliant on Open Reach, which may mean expense & delay of a new connection plus a new phone number
    Just saying, investigate the downsides and possible delays before jumping