Defrauded on Gumtree so I requested a chargeback.

Hello, a few days ago I went onto gumtree to purchase an item, however as soon as I purchased the item I has a gut feeling that I have just been defrauded. Turns out that my gut feeling was right as the seller has no intentions of posting the product that I thought I was purchasing. I have explained to my bank (Santander) what has happened and I requested a chargeback. Santander has told me that they have immediately raised this issue with the merchants bank. Does anyone know how long this process normally takes? 

Comments

• To say Santander has already contacted the Merchants bank....
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 November 2020 at 5:34PM
    What sort of card did you use to pay? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • It was my debit card (current account) visa 
  • In fairness gumtree is designed for in person collection and payment. 
  • MarkN88 said:
    In fairness gumtree is designed for in person collection and payment. 
    Right, but my question was about the chargeback process... I was just wondering what the process is and how long does it roughly take as I have never done a chargeback process before. Santander has not asked for any evidence such as conversation screenshots between the seller and I. They have said that they have already been in contact with the Merchants seller. So, my question is how long does the process usually take. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 November 2020 at 1:17PM
    There isn't a specific time scale but this talks about allowing 8 weeks for the bank to investigate before taking things any further. 
    Debit & credit card chargeback: protection on faulty goods (moneysavingexpert.com)
    Given that it's only been a few days since you placed your order I wouldn't expect anything to happen particularly quickly. Your item may still arrive. 
    You're aware that a chargeback can be reversed in some circumstances? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Presumably Santander will require more information (including a Crime Reference Number) before they will consider the chargeback. My understanding is that, in the first instance, all they will do is contact the recipient's bank and ask whether the recipient will allow it to be refunded (which could happen, for example, if there was an accidental payment into an account). If they say "no", then both Santander and the recipient's bank will need to do some investigation to try to determine who is in the right, as it becomes "he said, she said".

Otherwise there would be nothing to stop any Buyer paying for something, waiting for it to be dispatched, and then fraudulently raising a chargeback.
    Philip
  • Presumably Santander will require more information (including a Crime Reference Number) before they will consider the chargeback. My understanding is that, in the first instance, all they will do is contact the recipient's bank and ask whether the recipient will allow it to be refunded (which could happen, for example, if there was an accidental payment into an account). If they say "no", then both Santander and the recipient's bank will need to do some investigation to try to determine who is in the right, as it becomes "he said, she said".

Otherwise there would be nothing to stop any Buyer paying for something, waiting for it to be dispatched, and then fraudulently raising a chargeback.
    Oh yes I know there are a lot of dodgy buyers out there, but I have evidence that the seller has defrauded me as they quickly deactivated their account and are refusing to communicate with me in regards to the product that I thought I was purchasing. 
  • MarkN88 said:
    In fairness gumtree is designed for in person collection and payment. 
    Right, but my question was about the chargeback process... I was just wondering what the process is and how long does it roughly take as I have never done a chargeback process before. Santander has not asked for any evidence such as conversation screenshots between the seller and I. They have said that they have already been in contact with the Merchants seller. So, my question is how long does the process usually take. 
    As has been said, no specific time.  Santander actually say "some disputes can take time to resolve"

https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/chargebacks-and-disputed-transactions.pdf
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback