Very Peculiar Tesco Won’t Even Talk Retention

Options
kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,833 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
As I said in an earlier post my contract with Tesco has ended and I’ve requested and received my PAC code with a ‘ring us and let’s talk about staying,’ type message

OK so I rang and there didn’t seem to be an agent available, so I went to web chat.  Told them another provider had offered me a good deal and was surprised that the agent didn’t even make a feeble attempt at keeping me, didn’t even ask what the deal was!  Basically he said ‘our deal on the website is what you see and that’s it was what you get, no haggling !’ (I paraphrase.)

A great way to retain customers

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sometimes a different agent will give a different reply , Or they don't want you at that price .
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 23 November 2020 at 3:05PM
    Options
    "Told them another provider had offered me a good deal"
    If that is correct and not a negotiating ploy then use your PAC and leave.
    I would and do when that happens.
    I was with them, some time ago, for two years. They are on the pricey side but I never had any issues with them. I prefer not to be tied in to a term contract now.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,833 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    ...Or they don't want you at that price .
    Reminds me of a song ‘Nobody’s Child.’  🤓
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Retention is usually for the time before someone has requested a transfer out (which they may view obtaining a PAC as doing).

I've just renewed my broadband contract, I was able to tell the person I spoke to exactly what I could get and where from before asking them to match it. They came in around £2 a month cheaper on an 18 month contract, but I was losing £50 in cashback, which to save the hassle of switching, a £14 'convenience fee' over 18 months I am willing to put up with.

At no point in the call was leaving suggested, however it was made clear that I require the best deal possible, which in total saved around £180 over the quoted contract price and close to £400 over a month to month price, so well worth the 15 minutes on the phone.

If I'd already requested to leave, I doubt this deal would have been on offer, so a change in negotiating strategy may be required by OP.
    💙💛 💔
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    Honestly i think on the whole companies have got wise to the whole 'if you threaten to leave then you get a better deal' and now just let you leave if you are so insistent on it!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    For what I need, Tesco are always very competitive (cheapest or very close to), so I guess it depends on what your needs are and sometimes a different provider will just have things packaged in a way that works better for you.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm always quite encouraged when they give up early on because it suggests you've got a pretty good deal that it's not worth their while to match...

Happened with Vodafone recently, they quickly gave up on price and instead resorted to another standard line - 'but you won't get Vodafone's level of service if you go through a third party provider'

To which I could only reply 'is that a promise?'  :D
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course, it may just be that your usage profile is just insufficiently profitable for the company. Some networks have customers they actually wish to lose and attempt to achieve this by moving them to expensive tariffs.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My parents have just renewed withTesco and they got £1 each off the advertised monthly cost. That may have been because they took 2 contracts. 
  • AlfieWilko1950
    Options
    Family Perks .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family