We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Boiler- are British Gas competitive now??

Options
johnbhoy70
johnbhoy70 Posts: 222 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 22 November 2020 at 4:24PM in Energy
Hi there-
Old Vokera (20+ years)was running hot and cold recently so got BG out  through our Homecare. When guy was working on it a bit of plastic  broke away between controls and main casing covering electrics so he had to flag at risk. Boiler is still working away but i knew the day was coming when we would need to start getting quotes for new one and always thought local guy would prove far cheaper. However, a few times now and also yesterday BG engineer had said to me when you get quote use my friends and family discount to get 25% off boiler and installation. He gave me a rough guesstimate yesterday of 2.9/3k which would end up with region of circa £2250. We've been here 13 years now and never cleaned system so guessing i'll need to add that in too. Wonder if there's any leeway there with them?? Other things to consider are guy said you get 5 years Homecare with that but is it really as surely boiler and controls would have some initial cover/warranty anyway. 
It would be a combi for another combi in same place for a 3 bed semi-detached with 8 rads and most guys i've spoken to in past regarding quotes think i'll probably need a 28/30 power wise. It's not an exact straight swap as we don't know exactly where the pipework changes but hopefully it's just a straight line from meter to boiler and a branch off for hob but of course there's no way of knowing without further investigation. That's where local indepedent guys find it hard to give exact cost as a few have said it depends on work involved and where pipes change. That's another thing about BG is that the price is fixed when you get it regardless of work involved i think?? They're video calling me on Thursday and it's been a few years since we've got quotes so probably need a couple of local guys in to price too but anyone found BG compettive??

ps- the CH always seems to be working fine as just checked all 8 rads a while ago and all hot top and bottom with no cold spots i could find anyway.

Comments

• Malchester
    Options
    Seems high to me. I know costs vary by location but we paid £1400 4 years ago for local person in business on his own. That was an Ideal boiler and came with free 7 year warranty. I would certainly get a couple more quotes. British Gas were horrendously expensive the twice we've needed new boiler in past
  • johnbhoy70
    edited 22 November 2020 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Thanks. We had a BG guy in maybe 3/4 years ago and even with his super discount that nobody else got they were pricey. We left it at the time. I do have a guys number who i found out knows a colleague and he actually is a BG contractor who called in last couple of years to do my Homecare annual service. I think the main thing here is to get a break of the final price as much as i can with regards to adding on flush and take it from there to find out what i'm getting exactly.
    To use a similar analogy people think Homecare is expensive but i personally think that it's relative. From memory, they added a new flue onto our boiler years ago and i think we've called them on average maybe 1/2 twice a year outwith service in past few years with them and have paid approx between £18-21 per month over the years with them. That's for boiler only now as they replaced a radiator years ago in hall and in hindsight i think that was was a mistake on my part as they marked it as a sludge issue so thought i may as well drop CH cover as they wouldn't cover it anymore and put future issues down to sludge,
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BG will be typically 40% more expensive than an independent RGI, and of course you have no control over who actually fits it. Could be an experienced BG fitter, or could be a subbie with minimum qualifications.
    A powerflush is normally required in order to meet the warranty terms, so should never be an extra cost.
    No RGI should be quoting without a proper site survey and flow test, that what they know exactly what is required in terms of gas supply pipe  and flow rate. That cannot be done on a video call.
    PS: So BG damaged your existing boiler, flagged it at risk and have not repaired it at their own cost? Why not?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • johnbhoy70
    edited 22 November 2020 at 5:48PM
    Options
    Listen guys i know the script i think. I've being a member on here on and off for circa 15 years now and hope i'm not coming across as pro British Gas as that's certainly not my intention. If anything, it's probably contrary to that. I'm just wondering if bang for your buck  with all things considered they're maybe not that far out??
    With regards to the plastic it was the first thought that crossed my mind too. Here's exactly what happened. In the last couple of weeks off hot and cold water i'd been in the controls more than normal. About a week ago it broke away but it had old green and yellow tape on it which wasn't put on by us. I think it must have happened during a past service  or repair whilst i obviously wasn't in the room and they're not exactly going to bring it up. Mind you, i'll maybe check the previous reports. You are correct in stating that's the only reason they've flagged it as risk as the boiler is working as well as it can for its age but now if you poke your hand in you can access electrics. For me, i think you need to pick your battles and with a 20 year old boiler i don't fancy my chances even though i think i'm pretty competent with these kind of things. They'll get me one way or the other, probably on the obsolete part  clause, which you accept when you start Homecare. 
    Also, thanks for the point about the video call. I think i'll drop that in during our conversation. It actually did cross my mind too how much can they really assess from one. 

Thanks for your thoughts folks, It is really appreciated and just confirmed to me the obvious i'm gonna need at least another couple of quotes
  • barbedhook
    Options
    Are you claiming any benefits? Google free boilers to see if you qualify for a free or discounted boiler. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would even consider using BG. They've never competitive, invariably more expensive, and you can't personally vet the installer. In the event of problems, the long-term warranty is under the manufacturer, not under BG.

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • johnbhoy70
    edited 7 February 2021 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Just to update guys. Turns out BG weren't even close. Gas Board engineer was well out with his approx quote of 2.9/3k and then discount off that i mentioned in my orginal post. Even with the engineers friends and family discount it ended up at circa £2700  for a straight swap of combi out and combi in. 
    I just had fitted 2 days ago an Ideal Atlantic 35 (30 would have done but they had no stock and gave me slight discount) with a mag filter and a wireless thermostat. Total cost was £790 for boiler, mag filter and thermostat and £600 for work. Guy was here maybe just over 4 hours on Friday and then 2 on Saturday to finish flue and fit therm and whatever else he had to do. 

So not far off half the price of the British Gas and i got more done. Also, i think their salesman was aware i thought  he was at it when i started questioned his valuing of 5 years Homecare with their offer......but but but a new boiler usually has a few years guarantee with it says i to which he kinda went quiet and moved on to something else. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure